New
Find
Notify
Tools

To scope or not to!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would appreciate your thoughts on whether to scope a 375H&H Flanged magnum made by H&H. Side lock dominion action.

1. Will it reduce the resale value?
2. Will the original stock configuration make the scope too high, guess I need to check that on the gun itself, its currently with JJ being restored!

I just feel that I will get more use out of it then if it were left unscoped! But on the other hand not sure if I should start drilling holes in a classic gun that has been used by my father and his father!

thanks for your thoughts.

Reddy375

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir, put the drill down, and step away from the Holland...

IMHO
1) It would certainly reduce the resale value.
2) Scope would likely be too high.

Not knowing specifics of your rifle, those holes may cost you almost as much as a second hand scoped Chapuis in 9.3. Almost.

You can always drill hole. You can never undo it. I'd try and keep it as it were given to me.

Again, just my $0.02

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell'er to me and get a DR with mounts already installed...I can still use "Irons" effectively.

...Don't do it!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you scope it, that gun will lose 30 to 50 percent of its value.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh God, you might as well draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa!! Stop you terrorist!!! thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Oh God, you might as well draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa!! Stop you terrorist!!! thumbdown

The Mona Lisa already has a mustache; she is Italian, isn't she? Eeker

Keep the drill away from the Holland!

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Your father hunted with it and your grand father.

I don't think your ever going to sell this. Make it work for you what ever that is and hand it down to your kids.

You cant hurt the value of something your not going to sell but if you ever did you can see what the responce has been from some of the potintal buyers.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I know where there is a H&H Dominion grade, sidelock in 8x57 (not rimmed, btw and .318 caliber and 28" barrel). It has claw mounts installed by H&H contemporaniously with original sale. Is it worth less therefore?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be if I'm buyin'
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well folks, since the rifle is being restored by someone other than H&H, the proper addtion of a period scope bases and rings, if done properly, is no draw-back unless the rifle is to be sold.

If it is to be sold, the restoration has already done the deed. I say if it will work better for you, and you do not intend selling the rifle, then talk to JJ, as I can't think of anyone better to do the work. Of course, if you had the restoration, and scope mounting done by H&H, with attending letter of repare, the value would have been inhanced! It's your call, and your rifle! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
It has claw mounts installed by H&H contemporaniously with original sale. Is it worth less therefore?

Yes. IMO. But it would be worth a lot less if the mounts were added decades later. And worth still less if the mounts were not added by H&H.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The restoration alone will decrease the value of that fine jewel of a rifle. If you can, leave it alone. JJ will do a great job and most likely as good as H&H, BUT, IMHO if it you must restore it let H&H do all of the work if you are concious of the investment value. Family heirloom, get the work done by JJ and may it be enjoyed for generations with scope or no scope.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your feedback. I am inclined to agree with you all and will put the drill downSmiler I have shot a lot of game with it using open sights so guess that will carry on!

For the sake of discussion. It seems the American way is to not restore an old car or gun as it looses its value. A friend of mine who collects old Rolls Royces (and also fine guns)was saying that this does not hold true in England.

If a car or gun is restored back to original condition and the work is done by the manufacturer or someone as good, then it is okay! And is perceived to be better than having an original piece that badly needs some TLC!

Thanks Again
Rddy375

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like to admit it, but there is a lot common sense in British logic from time to time. I'm happy to own a number of such shotguns and rifles that have been well cared for that way.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks reddy375.

I am sorry I got so hysterical.

SG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked one up and WILL have it re-ribbed to at least look "Original", not for sale's sake, but for my own sanity!!!

Uggh, scopes on Vintage DRs just don't seem right....Modern DRs that's a different story,

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, it will reduce resale value.

2. Yes, original stock is for express sights so scope is too high.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted by Buliwyf
quote:
Posted 12 Feb, 11:30 AM Hide Post
Bill,

I don't have a double rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Who doesn't have a DR...Jim?....?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullwinkle

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why am I not surprised. Roll Eyes

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cronies Manion and Wemmer:

So what answer do you to two cronies have to the original post?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullwinkle,

quote:
So what answer do you to two cronies have to the original post?

What's a "to two" cronie? Doesn't have something to do with ballet, does it?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would appreciate your thoughts on whether to scope a 375H&H Flanged magnum made by H&H. Side lock dominion action.

1. Will it reduce the resale value?
2. Will the original stock configuration make the scope too high, guess I need to check that on the gun itself, its currently with JJ being restored!

To answer the questions:

1) Resale value is now likely reduced as it is being restored from original condition. Unless the rifle was really, really trashed-out, original is always better. To add non-factory mounts to the gun in discussion would be a detractor from even the now reduced value of being restored - a negative, negative. A caveat to this is the fact that there aren't that many H&H .375 FLs just hang'n 'round, so, your rifle has good value in it, re-done or not re-done, mounts, no mounts, just not as much as say a rifle that was in 80 % or better "original" condition. However, some guys like perfectly restored rifles / shotguns and will pay dearly for them - you just have to run across that individual. Others like the totally original stuff...It's the same old "tastes great - less filling" argument and depends on which group of collectors we're talking about - in this case Pre-war English DRs which have several distinct sub-collector groupings. To the purists, this gun would not even come up for consideration. To the shooter-collector - maybe, to the Vintage-o-phile maybe again (they aren't particularly fond of scopes though), to the hunter-collector, definately if it could be bought right. So, is the value hurt by adding non-factory scope mounts - YES, but not as severly as it would be if you were adding these to an untouched and original conditioned rifle. What it all really comes down to is what do you want to do with the rifle? If re-sale in the near future is the intent - don't scope it. If you are intending to give her a second life afield - scope it and by the time you move it years from now, the market will have increased to the point that what is now a detractor will be offset by market price inflations. Eventually, you should come out ahead.

2) Not necessairly, but likely -It probably has too much drop. But, this really depends on the exact dimensions and how you weld your cheek to a rifle when using an optic - There is no B&W answer to this one - T&E is the only way to find out.

Per request!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullwinkle,

I agree with my cronie with the following comments:

1. If this were in a caliber 450 or above, I believe adding a scope would most surely affect its value. However, a good set of claw mounts, especially if added by H&H (or commissioned by them here in the US) would not impact value much if at all, especially since the gun is going through a restoration and since it is not a "best" rifle. If done by a top doublemeister, there will be no regulation issues from the addition of a scope when you get the rifle back.

You see more and more doubles these days in 9.3 X 74 and 375 rimmed being mounted with scopes. It seems more and more people recognize that the capabilities of a double are in line with a bolt rifle of the same caliber. Plus the fact that a lot of old farts can see better through a scope versus iron sights.

2. See Cronie Wemmer's response. It depends what the current drop at comb is. In most doubles being scoped these days, there does not seem to be a comb issue with a low mounted scope.

By the way, just for your benefit, "T&E" is shorthand for "trial and error", and should not be confused with "T&A". Also, just for you, "mounting your trophy" is something done by a taxidermist, and is not an act you perform on the beast in the field.

I know those last two tidbits were not part of the original question, but I sensed you would eventually get there...

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
But it's still ok to T&E the T&A, right?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Especially if it's the "Ts" we see on "Fjolds" name tag!!!

WOW!!! shocker

JW