THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Can somebody identify this bullet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can somebody identify this bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I bought a Ruger#1 9.3X74 last week. (Most be something about the caliber as I now have a double and single shot plus two 9.3x62's in bolt guns). It came with a partial box of these 286 gr bullets that the owner bought at a pawn shop. I will shoot them up for practice but I am curious if anybody recognizes the bullet. Thanks.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but the bullet looks like a home swaged bullet, with a canular rolled on. I used to make my own bullets for a double rifle I had that was chambered for .318 bullets for the 8X57JR. The rifle was regulated with 196 gr .318 jacketed bullets which were unobtainable in 1959, as was brass that could be made from 9.3X74R which wasn't plentiful either. I ordered a Corbin swaging die and a set of custom RCBS dies so I could make my own bullets and they looked just like the one pictured here.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it is an old Kynoch.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
They are accurate bullets. I was hitting a gong at 200 yards with the peep sights on the rifle. Off topic but I like this #1. Maybe I will buy another one and duct tape them together.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to make my own bullets for ... 196 gr .318 jacketed bullets which were unobtainable in 1959, ... I ordered a Corbin swaging die and a set of custom RCBS dies so I could make my own bullets and they looked just like the one pictured here.

I had no idea, we could scratch make jacketed bullets at home. From sheet copper and lead ingots?

I definately learn something today.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac, wanna make me some (9.3)? I have been toying with the idea of getting a Corbin and trying this out. Is it worth it?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hey Mac, wanna make me some (9.3)? I have been toying with the idea of getting a Corbin and trying this out. Is it worth it?
Peter.

I looked at this about 10 years ago and got all the info from Corbin. The set up cost was close to $3k plus a garden shed & bench etc. if you are going to melt high volumes of lead alloy. I concluded I would waste another $500 ++ of material before I could develop the skills and knowledge to produce consistent quality bullets. After that I would still need to find out if they would shoot well in my rifles. Then I would have to find reliable ways of getting batch-to-batch uniformity!! I gave up the idea pretty quickly.

I know someone here who made up his own gear & uses 22 & 22 magnum brass as the jacket material to make up 224 to 243 bullets.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

I looked at this about 10 years ago and got all the info from Corbin. The set up cost was close to $3k plus a garden shed & bench etc. if you are going to melt high volumes of lead alloy. I concluded I would waste another $500 ++ of material before I could develop the skills and knowledge to produce consistent quality bullets. After that I would still need to find out if they would shoot well in my rifles. Then I would have to find reliable ways of getting batch-to-batch uniformity!! I gave up the idea pretty quickly.

I know someone here who made up his own gear & uses 22 & 22 magnum brass as the jacket material to make up 224 to 243 bullets.

Nakihunter You must have been going into this thing in a very big way. I spent a total of $135 USD for the swageing die and punch, used my old loading press (A RCBS BIG MAX), and the custom dies from RCBS cost me about $60 USD.for the 8X57JR cartridge. The bullets worked just fine, whether the resized .323 bullets for the 8x57 Mauser ,or formed from copper discs, with lead cores, on Muledeer, Elk and Black bear. Of course this was back in about 1963. I'm sure it will set you back maybe $500 total today unless you have a big press!Then a lot cheaper. I too have been thinking about the 9.3 bullets, but the Hawks are so cheap for shooting deer, and hogs, I haven't made the move.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote