New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New member here,typical Wanna-be, small-game hunter, killed more deer with trucks than rifles,like most always dreamed of Africa, would be content(for a while) with just owning a Double. I have to blame John Hunter for this, Capstick just made it worse. Anyway, been in contact with Luxus on their new guns, they are currently testing a .470. Prices looking to be in 6500 to 7000-USD-range at this time. They have a facility/Office a couple hours drive from me, little farming town in Ohio. I thought this might be a Possible Entry-Level DR for me, as I have never had the good(?) fortune to shoot a REAL rifle. No one in this area that rich OR that 'eccentric'. Well, I have the 'eccentric' part down well, just like to actually SHOOT one before I buy, hate to spend the money only to find I'm too much of a wimp to enjoy it.
Also, could someone explain the Rising Bite action to me, i.e. why it is called so,the difference in operation, etc. The Greener, boxlock, sidelock,etc. I am familiar with, just discovered this site Monday so still Studying. Also, a Theoretical Concept: What sort of accuracy could you reasonably expect from a single-shot, 28 to 30-inch-barreled falling block rifle chambered in 450/.400? At 300 yards? At 800 yards? Thanks, and I'll try not to be TOO annoying,
KY Jim

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, You will find some VERY knowledgeable folks here on AR, who have owned every double rifle out there, even guys that build them! I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of info here, as willingness to share such information is the backbone of this forum. Good luck!...Biebs

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome, good to see someone else wanting to get into it !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
KY Jim - Your about two years late finding us . Not all together but I spent three of my winters in Southern IN while one daughther was in a school there. I spent from November till March for those 3 years twiddeling my thunbs (when it was'nt deer season). I would have been more than happy to take you under my wing and introduced you to my double rifles.

I was staying 29 miles from Louisville and I made it to a couple of gun shows at freedom hall where I was surprissed to find quite a few doubles.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
By the way. Welcome to AR.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
hi jim

welcome to ar, just a warning, once you let that double rifle bug get into your blood stream, your done, and you will find really stupid excuses for yourself and the better half as to why you need another, whatch out with this crowd as they are really good at coming up with excuses for you if you need a new reason for getting another one Smiler
your question regarding the 450/400 would be: same as with any single barrel hunting rifle proberly 1" at a hundred and from there on. why would you shoot it at half a mile ?

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. Too Late, I was bitten at Age 12, thanks to J.A. Hunter. As to the 450/400 at a half mile, it fits in with my OTHER rifle addiction, the 1874 Sharps. With deference to the more English-Tradition-oriented here, the only single shot I would have is a Sharps or a new Ballard, and I thought Old Reliable in 450/400x3 would be the Perfect Stalking Rifle. The most power I have currently is a Ruger MarkII M-77 in .300 Wincester, the heaviest an 1895 in 45/70. Equipment for North America, IOW. Also a P-17, and two .303's, one an Issue Lithgow. Have loading dies for all but the 30-06. I flat LOVE H-335 in the .303's, it wakes them RIGHT up.
I live on the Eastern end of Kentucky,the end that ISN'T Flat. Where all the poor hillbillies live, you know. Yes, I've already run into the Unhappy Wife syndrome regarding the doubles. The instant I told her what they cost, she went Up like the Space Shuttle, so I didn't bother to mention the cost of Ammo, hehheh. Things are to the point that I really don't care, however. She'll be Fine when the swelling goes down, as the Saying goes. I'm 43, and sick of not having a few Neccessities for myself. No, I don't NEED the Sharps, or the Double, but I WANT them, and always have. Who knows when we might be Invaded by Space Aliens who shrug off 30-06's, and the .44's only piss off, after all. A decent .470 COULD be Handy, in such an event. Or the occasional Zombie infestation, which the kids worry about a lot. Serves them right for watching Scary movies!
Anyway, what's up with the Rising Bite and Third Bite actions?
KY Jim

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KY JIm, welcome to the forum. Why would you want to shot a 450/400 at 800 yards? This would be a challenge even for a custom bolt action rifle built for egg shooting!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Jim:
Anyway, what's up with the Rising Bite and Third Bite actions?
KY Jim

Jim

i should be abel to give this section an early christmas present in form of pictures very soon.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum, Jim!
I would try to warn you to "Go back, it's a trap!", obviously too late for that!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire. Kind of new here also, and I can already tell it is going to cost me some $$.
Don't know if its allowed, but over on the castboolits.gunloads.com forum, in swapping and selling section, a guy has a 50-90 Pedersoli Sharps, with cases, dies and moulds, for $1,500. Pretty good deal in my book. would buy it but I just had my 45-70 Pedersoli rebored to 50 Alaskan, a couple of months ago.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just in the Cartridge Selection phase for the Sharps. Much easier for DR's. As far as the money, I realized that SOME things you just have to Make Places in the budget for whether you can afford to or not. Or grieve your life away from wanting them. I've put these two projects off for thirty years. NO MORE.
KY Jim