New
Find
Notify
Tools

FEDERAL 470 AMMO PRICING
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO HAS THE BEST PRICES ON FEDERAL 470 AMMO ?

ALSO, HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW HORNADAY ? THEY ARE PRICED VERY CHEAPLY AT MIDWAY.

THANKS, TOM

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
It's good to see you out and about again. I don't know about the Federal but the Hornady ammo in 470 shoots very well in my Merkel---that used to be your Merkel. I have shot some of both the DGX and DGS and it shot to the same point of aim as my handloads using Woodleighs. I have not shot any over the chronograph, but my handloads were running right at 2150.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I chrono'd the Hornady. Out of my 470 K-Gun they averaged a little over 2150.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto, the Hornady chronos right at 2150 out of my 470 Searcy.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some coming. Will let y'all know what they do out of my early Searcy.

Rich

the price is encouraging...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I like what Hornady is doing especially for the big bore shooters.

I did have one of the factory rounds I bought not chamber in my K-Gun. A couple of others were tight. The rim thickness was out of spec as confirmed by Hornady. It must have been an isloated case but it is worth mentioning.

Sure made a believer in me to chamber all ammo in both barrels before leaving for any hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've put about 40 rounds of the Hornady ammo through my Merkel 470 this past week and I'm really really happy with it. I find the solids and softs have very similar points of impact for me out to 50 yards. I haven't experienced any problems with rounds not chambering. I can't bring myself to give Federal the amount of money they want for their ammunition. I'll be starting to load my own ammo in the very near future as soon as I get the dies and some Hornady DGS/DGX bullets in.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote