THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anybody have info on H&H double in 22 hornet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have info on H&H double in 22 hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Looking for any info on an H&H double in 22 hornet. Anyone ever hear of such a gun? What about value?

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember a Royal in .22 Hi Power from years ago, and have seen Hi Powers from a number of British makers. Don't know if Holland ever made one in .22 Hornet or not. Best way to research one would be from a serial number.

Without a specific rifle to consider, value is impossible to guess. Holland sold double rifles in all grades, from best Royals to utility grade backlocks to boxlocks. Price would be commensurate.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I now have in my possesion a Holland & Holland side by side rifle in 22 Hornet. I would like to have more info on this gun and have emailed H&H in reguards to it.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a Royal, Dominion backlock, or boxlock?

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Anson & Deeley boxlock, how do I tell if it is a royal?

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
A royal is a sidelock.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
This is a boxlock, has Anson & Deeley on the flat.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a Webley built gun. Holland didn't build boxlocks. The boxlocks they retailed came mostly from Webley and were usually finished by Webley, not Holland. Put another way, Holland boxlock DRs generally differ from those sold by William Evans, Army & Navy, Rigby, Lancaster, Gibbs, Manton, Alex Henry, etc., only in the name engraved on the action. The Holland name on it will fairly bring a premium over a rifle of the same description with, say, Army & Navy's name on it, but the difference isn't huge, because they're usually the same rifle.

If you'll post photos, I can tell you if it came from Webley or not. Interest in a miniature like this will be from collectors.

Holland's "Royal" double rifle is their best quality rifle. It's a bar-form, back-action sidelock.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
http://s59.photobucket.com/alb...current=DSC02495.jpg

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian:

Well, darn. The proof marks on the flats and water table aren't entirely clear. Leaving for SCI in the morning, but here's what I see.

Not Webley. Looks Westley-ish. London marks. I think there's something there I can't make out, but I'm not seeing anything consistent with proof for .22 Hornet. Looks like an older BPE (which would be consistent with the Anson & Deeley patent marking). As a wild guess, perhaps Parker-Rifled to .22 Hornet without benefit of re-proof. I'm quite familiar with British proof and, unless there are marks on the flats that aren't visible in the photos, the caliber is not original. Post better photos of the flats and water table, and I'll look again when I get back.

Either off-face, or getting very close to it.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Marked 32-20 on the flats and the barrels have been relined to 22 hornet. Darn the bad luck, I thought I had a good one there for a minute. i will try to get better pics today.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA