THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Woodleigh Crimping Groove Diff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Crimping Groove Diff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Was loading some rounds for my 475. Had bullets from different lots. 2 softs, 1 solid. Notice the difference in crimping groove placement (as well as length between the solid and soft).

Diameters and weights all jive. Anyone else ever notice anything like this?

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the solid the same weight as the softs ?

maybe the crimp groove is made to keep the same amount of nose showing ???

all in all, some kinda strange !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
All three were within a grain or two of each other.

As to length differences the soft were exactly the same. Maybe the solid needs to be longer to make up for more (lighter) jacket material..?

The soft on the right is the newest.

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copper weighs 78% of lead
Steel weighs 70% of lead
Steel weighs 89% of copper

With the thick steel jacket, the solid has to be longer to weigh the same.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFMike:
Copper weighs 78% of lead
Steel weighs 70% of lead
Steel weighs 89% of copper

With the thick steel jacket, the solid has to be longer to weigh the same.

Some of the old Speer AGS solids had different crimp groove heights. The guy at Speer never knew such existed!!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Strange, I checked different lots of Woodleigh 470s and the groove is in the same place on the softs. The solids are longer but the groove is in the correct spot so the solids and softs stick out of the case the same length.

Might just have one bad lot, looks like your solid would match the soft on the right for length out of the case.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send that picture and the question to Woodleigh.

They are good about answering you back.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Sent and e-mail with picture to Woodleigh right after I started the thread. I'll let you all know what I hear.

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The crimp groove is located so the bullets are the same distance from the rifling and to meet ovl of cartridge for feeding and pressure, and accuracy. The solid bullet is longer because because the material it is made of is lighter than the soft nose. Rich

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D Show:
The crimp groove is located so the bullets are the same distance from the rifling and to meet ovl of cartridge for feeding and pressure, and accuracy. The solid bullet is longer because because the material it is made of is lighter than the soft nose. Rich

I think Steve is talking about the two softs - on the right and left of the solid.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Got the following e-mail from Woodleigh:

You would be aware that this bullet is used in both the 475 3 1/4" nitro and 475 No2.
We originally put the cannelure in a position to suit the 475 No 2 which from one old chart we have was .830" from tip of bullet to case mouth.
This seated the bullet out too far for the 475 3 1/4".
Kynoch UK requested we bring the cannelure forward to suit the 3 1/4" cartridge. This change was made in 1999.
The cannelure position of production since 1999 is .620" from tip of bullet to forward edge of the groove.
The SN bullet on the left of your photo would be earlier production, probably 1995.
If you lined the FMJ and the SN on right up from the tip, the groove should be very close.
This position is a compromise between the two cartridges.
Regards,
Geoff McDonald.
WOODLEIGH BULLETS
PO Box 15, Murrabit, VIC, 3579, Australia
Ph. 61 3 5457 2226
Fax. 61 3 5457 2339
zedfield@iinet.net.au
www.woodleighbullets.com.au

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A compromise? So you end up with a bullet that is ideal for neither? I suppose in some twisted logic kind of way, it makes No 2 owners and 3 1/4 owners equal - where one group was satisfied and one was not, now both groups can be unsatisfied.

If I didn't know better, I would say that sounded like a solution that came from the US Congress.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
A compromise? So you end up with a bullet that is ideal for neither? I suppose in some twisted logic kind of way, it makes No 2 owners and 3 1/4 owners equal - where one group was satisfied and one was not, now both groups can be unsatisfied.

If I didn't know better, I would say that sounded like a solution that came from the US Congress.

Hey, you can always start manufacturing your own. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, you can always start manufacturing your own

And with your help, we can call the operation "Bill and Jim's Excellent Adventure"...

And I have a great slogan - "The Bill Stewart Bullet Line - Putting the "Bull" in Bull Elephant"!

When do we start?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can really simplyfi your life by crimping in the grooves and let it go at that, you will find POI the same, velocity the same, accuracy the same, and you will seldom, if ever, shoot that gun over 100 yards, and more likely at 10 to 50 yards..unless your just a nut case (many gun folks are) in which case have fun! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 450 No2 I use the 350 Hornady, 450 North Fork CPS and FPS, Woodleigh 480 Soft and Solids, Hornady 500gr Soft and old style Solid, and the 500gr Swift A Frame.

I crimp them all in the crimping groove, they have different OAL's.

None of them touch the rifling, I use the same powder charge with them all [except the 350 Hornady, IMR 3031].

They all hit the same place at 100 yards.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote