THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle malfunction question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle malfunction question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst I agree with the benefits of the red dot sights, I think there is a lot to learn from Larrys
Experiences here.

it re affirms my commitment to shoot my doubles with only open sights.

The PH is there to cover your ass in case something happens, but I can imaging the "oh shit" feeling when up close to an ele and you have no sight picture!!

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't know if all the modern reflex, red dot or whatever sights they may be called today, have batteries but the alternative was or is the reflex sight not needing batteries. I set up my Mauser 404J with one of the original single point sights same as in photo below. No batteries required, water proof, didn't make any difference to operation with rain drops on the 'objective' and the green dot showed up well in dark bush. Just used the natural daylight to produce the green dot that sat on the target. Wouldn't work in total darkness but then not likely to ever be used after dark.

Posts: 3855 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Battery operated devices, particularly in the field, are just waiting for an opportunity to become the next Murphy's Law story. If you feel that you absolutely cannot use iron sights, use the Trijicon RMR Dual-Illuminated Sight which is battery free . . . sure it is 7.0 MOA but if you are using it on a double rifle primarily for buffalo or elephant hunting, at those ranges the larger dot is not a problem.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Whilst I agree with the benefits of the red dot sights, I think there is a lot to learn from Larrys
Experiences here.

it re affirms my commitment to shoot my doubles with only open sights.

The PH is there to cover your ass in case something happens, but I can imaging the "oh shit" feeling when up close to an ele and you have no sight picture!!

Cheers

Nick

Some of us old guys have trouble seeing the sites.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mike is spot on. tu2 And Larry is absolutely right! tu2

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Mike is spot on. tu2 And Larry is absolutely right! tu2

Not quite so, as it is not just a matter of "feeling" one cannot use open sights or having a "commitment" to shoot doubles only using open sights, a short sighted person who normally wears spectacles to see clearly at longer distances mostly will see a blurred rear sight when using spectacles or nice clear sights and a blurred animal if the spectacles are removed.

Ask me I know, and it is a frustrating problem where I used to use open sights but find a blurred rear sight a damn nuisance now, hence a dot type sight or in my case now a 2x Leupold.

So often it comes down to necessity to use another sight option and not choice as Larry and Mike imply - in a nice way Smiler

Posts: 3855 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Understand that it gets more difficult with age.
Im 10 years behind you mate!!! So far so good.

I think Mikes suggestion of the Trijicon is a good compromise.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I have 20/20 vision. I see very well at distance. Up close though? I would say my sight sucks but there would have to be substantial improvement to get to that point. jumping

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have open sights, Trijicon RMRs and Leupold scopes for two out of three of my double rifles. My vision is not what it used to be, and the Trijicons and Leupold scopes have allowed me to continue to shoot the doubles and enjoy hunting with them. My remaining double has a fluorescent front sight and that helps but it's not as effective as the other two. It's because of my near sightedness that has developed over the years. Big Grin Sounds like Larry is far-sighted. eagle27: We are in agreement, as Mike's suggestion on using the Trijicon is spot on, along with Larry's acknowledgement that he's as old as the hills rotflmo and is now having trouble seeing the sights! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have open sights, Trijicon RMRs and Leupold scopes for two out of three of my double rifles. My vision is not what it used to be, and the Trijicons and Leupold scopes have allowed me to continue to shoot the doubles and enjoy hunting with them. My remaining double has a fluorescent front sight and that helps but it's not as effective as the other two. It's because of my near sightedness that has developed over the years. Big Grin Sounds like Larry is far-sighted. eagle27: We are in agreement, as Mike's suggestion on using the Trijicon is spot on, along with Larry's acknowledgement that he's as old as the hills rotflmo and is now having trouble seeing the sights! tu2

Hey now, we don't have hills here. I might be older than mosquitoes but not older than the hills! rotflmo