Notify
Tools

NEW Chapuis (for me)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello all,

I just picked up a sweetheart of a rifle. It is a Chapuis UGEX in 9.3x 74r. dancing

I am looking for bullet suggestions from other Chapuis double 9.3 owners. The rifle is regulated very well shooting under an inch at 50 yards and almost touching at 100!!!

I am a big fan of Barnes Bullets, but I have heard not to use them in Chapuis rifles from some members on this forum.

The previous owner gave me some Hornady factory ammo and it shoots them great. I will use the Hornady ammo that on North American stuff, like a Black Bear over bait, feral pigs or maybe a whitetail but I WILL NOT use the hornady bullets on African animals.

SO I am looking for suggestiomns for a 286 grain bullet solid and soft. Tell me what had shot well in your guns and how the terminal performance was.

Also if you don't mind tell me what your load recepie is.

I would like to hear about personal experiences. I plan on useing this rifle in Africa for Western Savana Buff, and Lion and assorted plains game.

THANKS Cool

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have enjoyed my Chapuis. Just not shoot it off the bench.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

I assume you advise not to shoot it off the bench because of the rifles relative light weight??

Did you hunt with yours??

If so what animals, what bullets..

Please tell me more..

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While my rifle is not a Chapuis, 286 Woodleighs have preformed great on whitetails and black bear in my 9.3x74 Perugini. They have flattened game with authority.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a nice moose with mine last Sept. If you do a search you can find out more details.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have hog hunted with my Chapuis. It's a good rifle, and when hunting of course the recoil is no problem. I use Nosler 286 grain Partitions in mine. I mounted a Kahles scope on mine and I think it is too heavy for the rifle. I am going back to the Leupold I bought with the rifle.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey

Do a search on my previous posts.

I have used my 9,3x74R Chappuis a lot.

It is a most excellent hunting rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote