Find
Notify
Tools

Claw mounts
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Someone asked a question here recently about claw mounts on a double.

I was trying to explain the new rail systems (vs. the old style where you had to drill through the rail.) Anyway, here's a photo of the new rail on a Swarovski.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the claw mount system.....and love even more the EAW mount system. But sometimes, I use a shortcut for a mount when the rib is already cut for insertion of the lower (female) claw components, while no fitted claw component is available, and the price(s) seems exhorbitant. In that case, I cut Weaver bases to approximate lengths to fit the rib cuts, and then grind the base sections to final length and angle. I carefully hammer in the base section to the claw mount rib cuts, and when in place, use a regular scope (no rails) with quick-detachable Weaver rings to attach to the Weaver Base sections. It works.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Beautiful mounts.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The mounts and most of the metal look quite nice, Lord knows I love claw mounts and have and use them.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the new rail system shown, do the hooks come pre-fitted to the bases ?

what is the approx cost of the hooks & bases.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The hooks come as blanks that have to be fitted to the feet.

I don't know what the individual components cost, but installed claw mounts are about $1500.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW !!! while the new mount system looks super the cost is about double what claw mounts cost installed here in usa, and that is not at any bargain price..

WHY WON'T THEY DO IT NOW ????

many , many years ago - in the 50's or 60's HEYM sold pre fitted claw mount sets that were also pre-drilled and blued , ready to screw onto your bolt action rifle. they were offered in different heights too.

with the cut outs and spacer blocks in the top ribs of todays top break guns & rifles it should be possible to do the same thing to avoid the excessive expense of this new mounting system.

does even the front claw have to be fitted ?

seems the scope makers are in collusion with the gunmakers on this one to keep prices sky high.

what do you think ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on how much you value a perfectly repeatable return to zero...

Perfect takes really good hand fitting, which will cost you.

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
I think it depends on how much you value a perfectly repeatable return to zero...

Perfect takes really good hand fitting, which will cost you.
--Tinker

Amen!...... There is acceptable, done skilled machinest, with machines, and there is perfect done by skilled human hands. Both are valuable, but perfect costs more, every time! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote