New
Find
Notify
Tools

This arvo's adventure...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The school year is pretty-much done-and-dusted, so Meg and I decided on one last "Hurrah!" before we take-off for a spell in civilisation with pubs and cafes and restaurants and motion picture theatres and shopping and that pampering stuff that ladies like. We headed to our country, and although the rains have only just started, we only just made it out there and back. It will be April before the faithful Toyota can get out there again. We waded across a muddy creek, and we were into lush, new growth, the beginnings of the born-again jungle soon to be. It was so very hot and humid. It would've been about forty degrees, and my shirt was soaked through with no evaporation whatsoever. Suddenly, in a patch of thick stuff, I spied a black form. Through the binocular I established he was worth shooting. We crept closer, and he kind-of changed his course and fed toward us. He was almost completely front-on at thirty metres when I shot. His head was down, grazing, and I aimed to send the bullet through his spine and into his heart. He never knew what hit him. One shot, dead on the spot. The 570 grain Woodleigh solid keeps impressing me. It has been a terrific year, my first as a remote bush teacher. It has been both gruelling and rewarding, and I love it! This bull was a great way to end a year of hectic, wonderful adventure.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sir! Sounds like you had a busy year, but I wouldn't mind being in your shoes!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jorge. We had the "biggest mob" of rain last night, so the track leading in to our spot would be impassable now.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ben,

Great work! You are having too much fun.

Have a great holiday.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Ben!!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote