New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 AE 450-400 3" NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm excited and had to share. I just took delivery of a new Merkel double rifle. I was unable to handle it before purchase, and was a little worried about the fit, but I am extremely happy with how it turned out. It fits me perfectly, the bead is nestled in the bottom of the V when I snap it to my shoulder. Just like a well fitted bird gun, but a lot heavier! It has also been equipped with a Burris red dot sight, and has EAW 30MM swingmount. It is a plain, entry level model but is the best I could afford and I'm thrilled. I have a hundred Hornady cartridges for it, so as soon as I get the Easter family gatherings out of the way I'm going to the range to try it out. Wish me luck!

Posts: 235 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
I'm excited and had to share. I just took delivery of a new Merkel double rifle. I was unable to handle it before purchase, and was a little worried about the fit, but I am extremely happy with how it turned out. It fits me perfectly, the bead is nestled in the bottom of the V when I snap it to my shoulder. Just like a well fitted bird gun, but a lot heavier! It has also been equipped with a Burris red dot sight, and has EAW 30MM swingmount. It is a plain, entry level model but is the best I could afford and I'm thrilled. I have a hundred Hornady cartridges for it, so as soon as I get the Easter family gatherings out of the way I'm going to the range to try it out. Wish me luck!

Congratulations Longwalker! You picked one of the best calibers for this rifle! I have two Merkels, a 140E-1 9.3X74R, and a 140-2 470NE, and I like both, and have put about 200 rounds through the 470NE and maybe 800 rounds though the 9.3X74R without a hitch!

Have fun with your new double rifle, and I must say the 450-400NE 3" is one of my favorite rounds I'm envious! Let us know how she shoots!

..................................................................... old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great rifle in a great caliber,Merkels are solid guns,get ready for a whole bunch of fun Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, you got the best caliber, all round in a solid rifle. Have fun with it. Kill a moose.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all, I do plan to hunt moose with it, to break it in for its real job, a buffalo and elephant hunt in Namibia 2019. It seems a long time away from now, but anticipation can be fun too!

Posts: 235 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Merkel are the best value on the market, and you’ve picked a great caliber. The Merkels are always well regulated. I’ve owned and sold many with virtually no issues.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you need to get another double!

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, you need to get another double!

Working on it Biebs. Just have to fund it and find the right deal. Regret selling the Bradshaw 9.3x74. It was so accurate.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longwalker,
A mate and I here in Australia both have Merkel 450-400's. They both shoot very well and regulated easily with a few different loads.
We both use the same load with a 400 grain Woodleigh, regulated in both rifles without issue.

DC

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote