New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Flanged
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have an opinion of the 375 Flanged in a double rifle?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,
I have 2 of them, a Rigby Sidelock
and a William Evans Boxlock.

Cartridge is great.

Cases can be hard to come by in the past but
can be got now so not a problem. You just by
200 cases and they will last a lifetime.

Don't see too many DR's around though.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, the 375 Flanged is one of the best ballanced, and versatile cartridges for general hunting with a double rifle, ever made. It is a mistory to me, how the rifle /cartridge combination got lost in the shuffel.

A good S/S double rifle, chambered for the 375 Flg, and fitted with a good QD scope bases & rings, along with a good light gathering scope, with a lighted reticle would be a one rifle for the world, and I have a like new 470NE that I would trade straight accross for a working class S/S double rifle in good shape in a heartbeat! As was said just buy a couple hundred cases, and settle in for a life time of hunting! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've located a DR and just don't know much about the flanged caliber. Maybe a dumb question, what is the difference in the flanged and the H&H?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roughly 100 f/sec. difference in speed.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've located a DR and just don't know much about the flanged caliber. Maybe a dumb question, what is the difference in the flanged and the H&H?

About 100-150 feet per second with a 300 gr bullet, with the H&H the faster! No animal will be able to tell the difference! This not a problem, because most H&Hs are in bolt rifles, with 24" barrels, and most 375 flg are shot from 26"-28" barrels, so the difference is negledgable! The 375 Flgs are a joy to shoot!
.............. thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Someone should expound on the differences between the 375 Flanged and the 375 Flanged Magnum, to make sure the poster has the whole story, as I don't know which he has found.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

From what I can tell, there is not enough difference between the 2 (other than the type of rifles to be used) to make enough difference to discuss.

This coming from a fairly experienced shooter of both....Trying to save this fella a lot of unnecessary cogitat'n about these nearly identical (ballistically) cartridges.

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found most flanged 375s turn out to be 2 1/2" which is quite a bit milder than the 375 Flanged. Most 2 1/2" guns are also not candidates for opening up to more potent options. Make sure it is a true 375 Flanged.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Will and LJS said. The .375 Flanged 2 1/2" is about the same power level as a .38-55 win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have found most flanged 375s turn out to be 2 1/2" which is quite a bit milder than the 375 Flanged. Most 2 1/2" guns are also not candidates for opening up to more potent options. Make sure it is a true 375 Flanged.

I think we need to get the nomenclature right. The .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express and the .375 Flanged Magnum are different cartridges.

The .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express is in no way comparable to the .38-55 Win., the .375 being a great deal more powerful.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Will,

From what I can tell, there is not enough difference between the 2 (other than the type of rifles to be used) to make enough difference to discuss.

This coming from a fairly experienced shooter of both....Trying to save this fella a lot of unnecessary cogitat'n about these nearly identical (ballistically) cartridges.

JW

Jeff,

I was in camp one time with a guy that had a $200K plus H&H DR in 375 Flanged, hunting everything, including lion.

The PH should never had let him hunt with it, but you know how it goes. They found a lion and eventually the lion was wounded and lost. Yikes, it made me cringe.

Besides all the other problems with that hunt, it is just not enough gun to begin with.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course the cost of the rifle has nothing to do with how well it shoots, or not.

And I can't imagine that a properly charged .375 Fl Mag. was not enough gun. Confused

However, I have experienced the occasion where A guy was more worried about his rifle than he was about what he was doing. This is where the problems come in with expensive gns on Safari.

My credo is simple: Don't take guns you can not afford to replace / repair WHEN damaged. All rifles / shotguns are going to get damaged in one way or another when used in the field. There is nothing worse than some guy "babysitting" his Safe Queen on a hunt...Trust me on this one!

A 200K H&H double in the wrong hands could be a major liability on a hunt. I suspect you sensed this and were wise to do so. thumb

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would STRESS the point of there being a number of different flanged/rimmed .375's.

ONLY the .375 Flanged MAGNUM by H&H and the .369 Nitro Express by Purdey are

acceptable choices for large and dangerous game in most guys opinions that I've heard!

Of course the .375 H&H Belted Rimless Magnum [NOT flanged] is the most common dangerous

game round world wide, I believe followed by the .458 Winchester Magnum [2.5 inch].

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I opened a can of worms but I do appreciate everyone's advice. My next question is, how do I tell what caliber this rifle shoots? 2 1/2" Flanged, NE, etc., etc,????? Should it say specifically? 375 Flanged??? Help me out here guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevenmagltd.,

The caliber "SHOULD BE" engraved in clear words on the barrels, very near the breach end.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
sevenmagltd.,

The caliber should engraved in clear words on the barrels, very near the breach end.

You can't rely on that in any way.

You need to look at the proof marks on the barrel flats. The .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express had three different loadings. A 2 1/2" rifle will be usually be marked "Cordite 40 - 270 MAX". A few will be marked "Cordite 40 - 300 MAX" or "Cordite 40 - 320 MAX".

The .375 Flanged Magnum will usually be marked "Cordite 54 - 300 MAX" or Cordite 56 - 300 MAX". Many of the Flanged Magnums will be late enough to also have the case length mark that was added in 1925, which will say 2.94".

Avoid 2 1/2" rifles that have been rechambered to .375 Flanged Magnum. If there is any question at all, post photos of the barrel flats here.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course 400 Nitro Express is correct! What

"SHOULD BE" and what is, is NOT always
the same! shocker

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you AR guys, Big thanks to everyone who posted on this subject. The rifle I found turned out to be the 2 1/2". After checking data and reading your post, this is not the rifle I want for Africa. I didn't know anything about this caliber before but now know the differences. Came within a hair of buying the wrong rifle. Many thanks!!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sevenmagltd,
What part of Texas are you located? If you get donw to Houston you are welcome to shoot my 450/400 3inch. Just let me know when.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the .375 flanged magnum is a versatile cartridge. I'm in the process of seeking quotes to have a set of .375 flanged barrels made for my 1904-made H&H 500/450. (Yes, BigFiveJack I got a quote from TTProctor.) So far, I could have Chapuis make a new entire .375 flanged magnum double rifle for near to what folks are quoting on a set of barrels for the 500/450!
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote