Find
Notify
Tools

Which shell holder?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys

For a Lee Auto Prime - which is the correct # shell holder for 9.3 x74R ?

Thanks heaps.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
GG:
Number 5, although it's not perfect and care is needed to keep it centred.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marrakai

I've actually just come in from the shed where I worked it out and was going to scrap my post.

One thing I did learn today was that you can use the Auto Prime for priming .416 Rigby cases - you just need to open up the top rim of the tool with a dremel. I just did mine with a slot drill - it might also help with centreing for the 9.3?? Just got to get the correct shell holder (#8) for the Rigby and I'm away - I hate using the press to prime cases although so far its been unavoidable for the .470.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GG375, do your primers seat easily in your 9.3x74R? I am using Large rifle benchrest primers (CCI) and they are very hard and difficult to seat, requiring the full leverage of my rockchucker press. I am wondering if I should switch primers or maybe do something with the primer pockets in the (Norma) brass?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the standard magnum, it is .532 vs .526.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Haven't really noticed any difficulties seating primers in the 9.3 but they are RWS cases. The .470 is a bit tight tho - and they are Norma cases. You'll probably laugh at this and it is probably a big no no but when priming the .470 cases I pick each primer up and run my finger aroung the circumference rubbing a minute film of oil off my skin (ie touch my face first with end of index finger). I make sure not to touch the priming compound - just the sides of the primer. They go in quite easily then and so far no ignition or other problems. Fed 215 primers I use.

See ya.

GG

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contact Us | Accuratereloading.com | Terms of Service

RCBS #4 all H&H magnums, 9.3X74R, and 450 Marlin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, not sure I understand. Are you suggesting I should use magnum primers? Are they smaller or larger than the large rifle? If they are larger, that won't help!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

no, I meant use the standard magnum shellholder.
It's what I do with my 9,5x74R (aka 38-90 WCG)

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, I have been using my RCBS Rockchucker press to seat primers. I have been using the RCBS #4 shellholder for resizing etc. I have a set of shellholders for my Lee primer, but given the problems I have had seating the primers using my press, I have not even tried the Lee priming tool. I might try some different primers than the CCI Benchrest that I have been using.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Auto prime holders are nice. But, you can not use them in any other Less Press, or any other press for that matter.

They are specifically made for the hand priming tool, and also are used in the Sinclair Hand priming tool. Nice to sit there in front of the TV or computer and prime away.

I checked with Sinclair, and Lee does not make an auto prime holder for the 470 NE (my first inquiry). Haven't tried the 9.3 X 74 yet (have the tools but waiting for the rifle).

Before I succumbed to the double urge, I decapped and primed using hand tools. I liked the way you could "feel" the seat with the Sinclair hand primer (with its depth adjustment).

And much to my dismay, the RCBS, Redding and Hornady shellholders for the 470 Nitro do not fit the RCBS hand primer. And the Hornady model with the chuck jaws will not accept the base of the 470 NE (but it looks like it will take the 9.3 X 74).

Now I did talk to Neill Jones abput making decapping tools for Nitro calibers. He made and offers them in 470 NE and 9.3X74. A great tool and great guy to work with. So I can still decapp while watching the tube or viewing Saeed's clips on "Fun with the 577 T-Rex".

But, at least for now, priming the Nitro calibers is a bench exercise.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heyyyyyyyyyyyyy Jim,

what does Neil get for those tools? Haven't talked with him in about a year.

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rich,

He charged me $75 for the decapping tool, the holder and punch for the 9.3 X 74, and the holder and punch for the 470 NE. I wanted a second tool. If you already have the tool, it would be a lot less just for the holders and punches.

He made up the holder and punch for the 470 NE - I think I was the first person asking for it in that caliber. So at least now he has the specs.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote