Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM peep Sight!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Let's face it, most double rifle owners are closer to age 60 than 20, and most of us could benefit (me included) from an improved sight picture.

The red-dot mount we introduced two-years ago has been a great success,

but we've had lots of requests for a peep as well.

The criteria were:

1) It had to be simple.
2) It had to be hell-for-stout.
3) It had to be as "sleek" as #1 and #2 would permit.

Disclaimer: This is the prototype... shown on a set of "scrap" barrels... that aren't actually fit to the action, action isn't polished, sight isn't blued, etc... so take it easy on the "fit & finish" comments.

Of course the production model will be polished and blued to match the barrels. Interchangeable apertures will be available as well, or it can be used as a "ghost ring" with no aperture.

You can see it first-hand at DSC and SCI.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It looks like a winner!
It's a dovetail so drift for windage and what for elevation?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, when I saw the rifle that you mounted the peep on, I thought you had finally broken down and bought a Sabatti! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like it. Want one. Let us know when it will be available.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
good lord look at the gap between the barrels and the breach face......glad I don't have any of them Heym's......Smiler

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Chris, when I saw the rifle that you mounted the peep on, I thought you had finally broken down and bought a Sabatti! :-)

yuck

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No fly's on heym!! but I like Bailey's flip up ghost ring sight for any and all my rifles

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a neat sight..A good smith can dovetail lengthwise on your quarter rib and make you a peep that locks in with a ball detent and spring and when not in use he can furnish you a block the same way to hide the cut in the rib..Its a neat, clean job that doesn't show except under very close inspeciton..I had a double fixed up like that and I liked but being a curmudgeon and an iron sight fanatic, I seldom used opting for the rifles shallow V instead...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
It looks like a winner!
It's a dovetail so drift for windage and what for elevation?

Good question. Much like a standard rear sight that has to be filed-in, the elevation (height of the hole) is set at the factory when the rifle is regulated and the sights made.

Compared to building in an elevation adjustment, this is extra work, but the idea was to have no moving parts, springs, levers, etc...

Again,
1) It had to be simple.
2) It had to be hell-for-stout.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Will the flat part in front of the aperture be textured?

one of us
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder if someone can't hit a buffalo at buffalo ranges with the worst of eyesight then is he endangering himself hunting in Africa..

My dear friend who posts here from time to time and has hunted with me about 14 times and he is blind as a bat, and kills his animals year after year with shallow V irons..

Granted when you extend the use of irons beyond say 75 yards, in my case 150 yards, then the picture can change, but most eyesight can be corrected for shooting with a simple trip to the eyedoc..They make some neat and inexpensive stuff for just such problems,

Not the least of which is those small white ring reinforcement self adhesive whatchamacallets that have no name that reinforce the holes in paper so they don't tear out of those round clips dohickeys. Stick one of thoes puppies on the top of your glasses and position it to look thru at your sights, VIOLA, once again your sights are clear and crisp as a bell and they are easy and very quick to use. Remember the target can be blurred, as it should be with iron sights, but the sights need to be crisp and clear.

Not knocking those neat peep sights, I have used peep sights for years and I love them.. just suggesting some things that might help out someone that wants to shoot the old v sights out of nostalgia or whatever, and may think those days are over..they are never over you just have to fix the problem.. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
New Guy.....PM Sent.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Where should I go to have a Docter Red Dot sight mounted on my Heym?

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Will the flat part in front of the aperture be textured?

Yes, hand-stippled.

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Chris,

Where should I go to have a Docter Red Dot sight mounted on my Heym?

Thanks!!

Call me on Tuesday, and we can discuss. 214.606.2566

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of a (solid and regulated) peep sight as shown and descrined in the post before. May I ask if there is any progress with Heym here? If Heym Germany is listening this -in addition to the most welcomed improvements of the last months-would be another purchase argument from my side.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Peep sights may not fit the traditional image of db rifles but I think they have a lot to recommend them. In my limited experience shooting wary/dangerous game with express sights, I've found a tendency to shoot high when in a hurry. This is caused by failing to squeeze the minuscule bead right into the bottom of the V.

A large, disc-less aperture on a rifle that fits the user will be damned near as quick but much less likely to shoot over a critter's back.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the first two pictures you will see that you could have both the peep sight AND a Doctor Optic sight fitted to the same gun.

With the DO removed there is no base left on the rib, so nothing to interfere with the Peep.

The DO rides a little higher on the rib than the peep [or the regular V sights} so the peep would not interfere with using the DO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Why not incorporate the elevation adjustment in the front sight as the Universal ramp does from NECG. I have it on several rifles and it works to perfection. Add a red fiber optic and it gets even better.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The peep sight never went Production?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
The peep sight never went Production?

They are available by request.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If you look at the first two pictures you will see that you could have both the peep sight AND a Doctor Optic sight fitted to the same gun.

With the DO removed there is no base left on the rib, so nothing to interfere with the Peep.

The DO rides a little higher on the rib than the peep [or the regular V sights} so the peep would not interfere with using the DO.

I truly like this idea

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Since you posted that the "peep sights" will be available upon request will you have a sample at the DSC or SCI shows? Would be nice to look at one in person.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, the peep is in the booth... please stop by.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would this fit on a K-Gun as well?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote