THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Kreighoff in a 475 nitro Express
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kreighoff in a 475 nitro Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just given a Kreighoff in a 475 Nitro Express!
A man that I have known since childhood passed away. I knew he was a gun collector, but never thought he hunted Africa? In his will he left me 3 guns, The kreighoff is beautfull! I will never sell any of them, But shoot them is a whole different story.

Where can I get ammo, or reloading supplies?

The sights are flip up style, what distances are they set for?

This gun came in a hard leather suit case, that was made for the gun?

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck shooting the guns. Could you please put up photos.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...*652***670***9013***

Brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...52***19785***9016***

Bullets

available from Midway USA.

Congrats BTW, you lucky SOB, I have had to buy every rifle I own, especially the expensive ones. It is great to hear you want to shoot it!
Now you have an excuse to go on a DG hunt!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons offers a good selection of reloading supplies. Nice folks also.

http://www.huntingtons.com/index.html

You will find some very knowledgeable posters here (I am not one of them), There were a couple of different 475s made. I believe the 475 #2 Nitro shot the .483 bullet, the 475 Jef. shot the .488.

Congratulations on the rifle, post some pictures as it will be the first K-gun in 475 I have seen in my limited experience.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were a couple of different 475s made. I believe the 475 #2 Nitro shot the .483 bullet, the 475 Jef. shot the .488.

Mike, you are right, sort of. It was actually the .475 No.2 that came in different flavors.

If it is just a plain .475 NE, it is still a potential problem as I have seen .474 and .483 both specified as bullet diameters. But the bullets are most likely .483, the groove being the typical .008 larger in diameter than the bore (0.475).

If the barrel measures .474 or .475, yippee, because he could use the relatively cheaper .470 bullets. At least there ARE .483 bullets.

Who knows. I'd get the barrel measured. Or just shoot .475 bullets and pretend ya didn't know no better!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will, I have learned just enough to cause problems.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mike,

To make matters worse, I have seen different groove diameters (which are presumably bullet diameters) listed for EACH of the two different .475 No.2's.

I sometimes wonder how much difference it makes in a thousandth or two of bullet diameter, except for mono's. They wouldn't be a good idea in a double anyway. Actually they would be a really bad idea in a double unless they were grooved heavily and kinda soft like a North Fork.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Even more confusion:
The .475 N.E. 3 1/4" is a tapered case (I think based on the .450 N.E. 3 1/4"). The other two .475's (Eley and Jeffery) have a shoulder and are based on a .450 #2), but as Will said, the Eley usually uses a .483 bullet and the Jeffery usually has a .488 bullet.

All that said, they all work and ammo is attainable with a little work and/or reloading. Just get someone who knows doubles to figure out what you have and enjoy!

BTW, I used to have a .475 N.E. 3 1/4" Cogswell & Harrison that buffalo didn't argue with very successfully. It shot .483 diameter bullets.

How about posting some pictures of the "new" rifle!!!

If all else fails or you can't get information locally, I'd call J.J. at Champlin Arms and see if you can send him the rifle and make sure the gun is mechanically sound. He'll even work up a load for you, using the correct components.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Will,

Before my 450-400 3 1/4 left Champlins, JJ slugged the barrels. Worth every penny for the peace of mind.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DLH,
Were you given a 470 NE or a 475?
If you could post a picture of the barrel flats or the caliber on the barrels this would help a lot. If you can't post a picture send one to me and I will post it.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It sure as hell better be a .475 after all this. But you are probably right Rusty, it may be just a typo .475! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My money is on it being a typo or the misstatement of someone who doesn't know doubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told it was a 475 Nitro Experss I'm going to take it to the next gun show, and ask a lot of questions.

I have looked down the tubes, and I think I coud hide hide it there! My brother has a digital camera, I'll get him to take some pics.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Oh brother, here we go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The left barrel is stamped 470 NE. Is that bad? Is there ammo to be had for it. is it expensive to buy?

It is also stamped "Kreighoff Classic" under the gun. is it a reporduction of an old gun?

Dad says it is too pretty to hunt with!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! I just checked MIDWAY, They have the ammo $115 for 20 rounds!!!!!!

This rifle isn't getting shot much!! (IF EVER!!!)

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The 470 is one of the more common Nitro calibers.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Load your own! It's alot cheaper and more fun.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DLH,
What you have is a 470 NE. Don't panic! You can get started loading your own.
You can get a press if you don't have one, dies brass bullets and powder.

The 470 Nitro Express is a great round and the rifle has an excellent reputation.

Don't take it to a gun show. Most likely you will not find anyone who really knows anything about double rifles there. Find a gunsmith who deals in these weapons.

Most likely the rifle is in great shape and ready to shoot.

You will find a wealth of information here on this forum. There is no shame in not knowing. There is only ignorance in not asking.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you can buy a box of .470's that cheap.

If it was me I'd buy the box of ammo.

Take a rifle in .22 LR to the range. Shoot it a dozen of so rounds, while standing up. Then put it away and get out the .270 or something like it and bang away with it for a dozen rounds, standing. Don't sit at any shooting benches.

Then get out the 12 ga. with turkey loads and send a few of the down range, still standing.

Then get out the Krieghoff. Load one round in the right barrel. Push up the safety to get it to cock and send one down range. Then you can decide whether to continue playing with the .470 some other day or just clean it, put it in the closet, and forget it.

Getting started reloading is a lot more expensive than $120. Better to see if you have anything to reload first.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
No, after he decides to put it up, he can just pack it up and send it to me. I'll pay him a couple of grand for it. No reason for it to just sit in a safe unused. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
DLH, what's the purpose to own a terrific rifle and not shoot or hunt with it. If you want to, get on the band wagon and learn how to reload for it.
You want to see how much fun they are to shoot and learn how to control a heavy rifle? Come to Pintail Point Maryland and see the Vintagers World Doublegun championships. www.vintagers.org There is a stopping gun event and we shoot 32 shots for score and rapid fire timed and moving targets, and stationary targets.

Now does that double have a raised button behind the opening lever, sticks up around 1/2 inch.?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I already reload for my NORMAL rifles and handguns. So now I'm going online shopping!!

I built a 416 taylor and thought it was HUGE!! Before that the biggest was a 4570 govt. I don't shoot them much but they are still in the safe.

Reteever YES is that lever, slide whatever? a barrel selector, or a saftey? I'm a little concernd that it will slide back during recoil?

The other 2 guns that I got are on 1903 springfield, both barrels have been replaced, 1 is in the 30-06, and the other is a 35 Whelen. I have a Whelen on a mauser action, and enjoy it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your buddy thought a lot of you, New ones sell for 10 k. Get a copy of "Shooting the British double"

Reloading for the double rifle requires a different set of rules than bolt guns, you need to do some study. Make a friend who has double experience if possible, get and read the book before you start reloading !!!, You need a big press ( a lee classic press is the cheapest and is well made) , You need a scale and some hornady dies. Ch or RCBS dies are more money if you cant get hornady. all for about 300 to 400 bucks , Jameson cases 3 bucks each and last a long time.The bullets about a buck and a half each and cast is much cheaper. For less than $500 bucks you are up and running and feeding your own double

Honor your buddy and get the skills and set up need to shoot his rifle.

rent the dvds "out of Africa " and "The ghost and the darkness" for a little motivation
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This is a sand bagging, smelling salts special.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make a friend who has double experience if possible

Will,

You do you need a friend? Just do not pollute his mind with that single trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well after some thinking; I can't justify spending that much money, The shop where I work is down to 4 days a week , and retirement is comming in 2 1/2 years,( if the shop is still there?). So I'm going to oil the metal and slip it in a Cabelas gun Sock and put it in the back of the gun safe. Damn economy! Maybe it will come in handy if money gets real short? I hope not.
I called my sons and told them they can have the other two guns, they will have to refinish them ( well used).

Well after I retire I am planning checking out that PINTAIL POINT Maryland shoot, Thanks Retreever.

Thanks everyone, it was fun till I found out cost?

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLH4570:
Well after some thinking; I can't justify spending that much money, The shop where I work is down to 4 days a week , and retirement is comming in 2 1/2 years,( if the shop is still there?). So I'm going to oil the metal and slip it in a Cabelas gun Sock and put it in the back of the gun safe. Damn economy! Maybe it will come in handy if money gets real short? I hope not.
I called my sons and told them they can have the other two guns, they will have to refinish them ( well used).

Well after I retire I am planning checking out that PINTAIL POINT Maryland shoot, Thanks Retreever.

Thanks everyone, it was fun till I found out cost?
Perhaps you should spread your reloading purchases out between now and your retirement. You'll then be ready to enjoy both retirement and your 470 NE.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote