New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screws and a 500 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been shootin my 500 NE a bit this spring, Question is the action screws back out a little, I have filed a bit to keep them timed after firing.
Is this normal? or do you guys put anything on the threads to keep them tight?
My rifle is a Alfred Schilling built on a Merkel action. Thanks for any help or info.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've never had that problem with my double rifles but they ar'nt 500's ether. My F.A. .454 casull needs screws tightend after every time I shoot it.

Tightening screws is just a normal part of cleaning that gun and I would say in both cases it's just a function of recoil.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AK,
spose Ill incorporate that into my routine, Shoot, clean, re-time screws. simple enough.
strange on your 454, mine stays tight, although I did crack a set of grips a few yrs back.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what loc-tite is for.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you're going to use Loc-Tite like I would MAKE SURE that you use the blue colored stuff. The red and green take heat to break them loose next time. The blue doesn't, it'll break free by a bit of force.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip from the Loctite people. When backing out screws set with the blue product, use slow, continuous force. The blue stuff will slowly "heat" up internally with a slow, steady application of torque. Remember, pressure generates heat. A quick jerk on the tool will often snap the screw.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got advise from a gun builder that has worked well for me. Use Scotchkote electrical coating from 3M on the threads. It doesn't set up as solid as Loctite, but works well enough to hold threads in place. It has worked well on my 404.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote