Find
Notify
Tools

Standing Rest.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I am wondering if any of you have come across shooting sticks that can be used as a standing rest when sighting in DR's,ideally two points of support,one for the front hand under the forearm & the second for the back hand elbow,thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good information on various shooting sticks in the Africa hunting forum.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little had a very strong tripod set up 50 yards from the target when I test fired my double after he had regulated it and had filed the express sight to match.
It worked great for me. Very stable.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caldwell makes a really nice standing tripod. I think its called Fieldpod Max

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies,I have been looking at all that has been mentioned here,including Caldwell & Ultrec products,I just dont know which way to go yet?
The sticks have to be pretty heavy duty & stable to withstand repeated shots with a heavy DR,I do not use sticks while hunting,but it would be nice to have a stable platform when working up loads.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is MTM that have released a standing rest in the USA. Based of a strong tripod, similar to a surveyors tripod.

Haven’t seen it in Australia. Would be handy.

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I have the Caldwell Fieldpod Max and have found it very useful.
The distance between the two supports is adjustable so I set it so that the forend rests in my gripped hand and my hand is supported by the rest. The buttstock is supported by the rear support and butt is against my shoulder.
Has a carrying strap, is light and is a quick setup.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Many in the market
https://www.amazon.com/Seeland...-Black/dp/B07B1HQLB8

That Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod would be great on a bench

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...ust=1542499333636853

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill. I have used the Caldwell Dead shot and my son took a mule deer at 447 yards with one but I prefer the africa sporting creations tripod. Not quite as steady but good for also in the field. He also makes a heavy version for 50 caliber but still find the lighter version is fine for .505 or .577.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I am wondering if any of you have come across shooting sticks that can be used as a standing rest when sighting in DR's,ideally two points of support,one for the front hand under the forearm & the second for the back hand elbow,thanks.

Hello Bill73,

This set-up costs about $10. Works for me.

Here it is in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...sfk&feature=youtu.be

and the results

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bukstix,
That rest is modular and portable and can all be stored in the white bucket. Have you patented that yet?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Buckstix is da man Smiler what a simple solution Big Grin.
At my range,I usually stand up an old table on it's side,plop down a round foam piece on the narrow end on the legs & commence shooting,but always have to duke it out with the range master when he is there,for some gawd awful reason he stands about 20' away when I start shooting ha ha.
I though I could find a more professional looking solution,hence I opened this discussion.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The PH I hunted with in Africa used to kneel down somehow and hold the sticks, while the client dug elbows into his back. Very confortable (as a Madrid taxi driver once said), for me at least Big Grin

Posts: 5018 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bal, I have made a standing rest. I have an extra set or leg hardware. All you need to do is cut out a table and mount the hardware and supply the legs. Just send me your mailing address.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
PM sent.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an old step ladder. Sawed the legs off to the right height, screwed a 10 x 20 inch board to the fold down shelf for an elbow rest and throw a sand bag on the top. When I'm done it folds up and stands in the corner with the other step ladders. Cost me about $5 at a yard sale.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland's...who do know a bit about DRs apparently...use a figure 4 rest for sighting it at their shooting ground.

I'll try and explain. Imagine a wooden post, four inches wide so actually a plank, set vertically, that, at the top has the shape of a figure 4. So a vertical post with a slanted down plank braced with a horizontal brace.

So, yes, a figure 4 or, if you like one side of a broad arrow pointing upwards.

This serves the purpose of supporting the wrist, supporting the forearm AND yet allowing the rifle and shooter to move away freely under recoil.

Essentially the shooter leans against it to shoot. Hope it helps. Feedback on how the Op got one would be welcomed.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Holland's...who do know a bit about DRs apparently...use a figure 4 rest for sighting it at their shooting ground.

I'll try and explain. Imagine a wooden post, four inches wide so actually a plank, set vertically, that, at the top has the shape of a figure 4. So a vertical post with a slanted down plank braced with a horizontal brace.

So, yes, a figure 4 or, if you like one side of a broad arrow pointing upwards.

This serves the purpose of supporting the wrist, supporting the forearm AND yet allowing the rifle and shooter to move away freely under recoil.

Essentially the shooter leans against it to shoot. Hope it helps. Feedback on how the Op got one would be welcomed.

Enfieldspares is giving you good advice. I built a standing rest after viewing how Holland & Holland had built theirs. You can view Holland's standing rest as well as watch the entire regulating process (yes, including the soldering and barrel movement process with vertical wedge)by procuring the video: "A Look Inside Holland & Holland (c2006 by Gunmakersrow.co.uk--a film by Billy Payn)--the regulating of double rifles is Section 8 of this well done video of all the process that Holland's does to build guns and rifles. I have had my treasured copy of the video for 10 years and purchased it via internet from gunmakersrow.co.uk. In the past the entire video has been on YouTube, but I do not know if it is there now--I doubt it.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland and Holland standing rest:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk

About ten minutes in.

I think Graeme Wright had a photo of their rest in his books too.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, 'tis not like that one, the one I saw at Northwood.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
No, 'tis not like that one, the one I saw at Northwood.

Can you send us a photo of the stand.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme has it on page 185 of his 3rd edition plus his own rest.

Do you have a photo enfieldspares?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Graeme has it on page 185 of his 3rd edition plus his own rest.

Do you have a photo enfieldspares?

Cheers, Chris

Chris;

I read the comment from Enfieldspares that the standing rest as shown on page 185 of 3rd edition of Graeme's book, is not what Holland uses now, but something very much more narrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regret I never took a picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that may be somewhere on the you tube video of the H&H Shooting School - the one where they measure you. I remember seeing one almost like a fence someone was shooting a rifle off. Just a few seconds of video. Does that sound like it?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holland and Holland standing rest:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk

About ten minutes in.

I think Graeme Wright had a photo of their rest in his books too.

RockDoc;

Your YouTube link is only a brief showing(and a poor one at that) of parts of segments of the "A Look Inside Holland & Holland. The real video is about 1 hour long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Have seen the full one. But would be better on dvd!

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is MTM that have released a standing rest in the USA. Based of a strong tripod, similar to a surveyors tripod.

Haven’t seen it in Australia. Would be handy.

Chris,
OSA and Herron's do have them available in Australia, about $250.00 I was quoted by my LGS.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use an A frame ladder with a hard leather pillow.
Works fine!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

Hello Bill73,

THIS!

This set-up costs about $10. Works for me.

Here it is in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...sfk&feature=youtu.be

and the results

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote