THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Snowwolfe, et al BIG THANKS! All Invited To One Or Both Of My Other CHRONO Threads!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowwolfe, et al BIG THANKS! All Invited To One Or Both Of My Other CHRONO Threads!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which model Chronograph is the right choice? If it

means a few hundred bucks needs to be spent,

so be it. Which retailer tends to offer the best price
on the model you vote for? Thanks men. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My research lead me to ordering one of these:
http://www.cedhk.com/shop/cate...phs-%26-Accessories/
Doest seem to sell for less at Midway or other online vendors so ordered it direct from the comapny and it was on my door step in 3 days.

Also added the infrared screens and the battery pack. Havent used it yet as wife is making me wait so I can "unwrap it" for my upcoming birthday, lol.

Used to have an Oehler 35P and many people say they were the best but I found it to be to big and a pain in the ass to set up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CED are excellent.

I have an old Ohler, have used Chrony as well,
both work but CED is best.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler.....hands down. Owned the same one for about 10 years or so now....no problems at all.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Watch ebay for a used Oehler, even if you have to pay $500+!

Does anyone know why they stopped making these??

I currently have an Oelher and a Pact pro. I have shot these in tandem many times and they both agree 99% of the time. I like the Oehler because it checks the speed twice so if the display is not blinking you can bet the farm it is correct. Had a chrony and it seemed to have misreadings too often for me. May have been a lemon?? I know many people using these successfully.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you, I think Chrony's do give odd readings sometimes and you can have 3 together and they will give different figures.

I wish Ohler were still available new.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Have had my Oehler 35P since 1990... still ticking.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Chrony works fine for big, slow rounds like double rifles shoot. I have found that they have more trouble with the little screamers, like .17's. The Oehler will always work great on everything.
I use a $89.00 Chrony F-1 and a $20.00 Walmart tripod a lot with my double rifles...cheap, easy to set up, compact, and works fine. If you hit the skyscreens with some "Teddy Bear Guts" (Dacron or foam filler)... which I have, you simply pop them back together and keep shooting. You can replace the whole unit cheaper than buying a new skyscreen for the Oehler. It was sort of comical though...thought I'd blown it all to hell with the 470NE. BOOM
I use an Oehler 35P for the more critical stuff...benchrest and heavy varmit class rifles.

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

+1 Cool

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfats:
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

+1 Cool

+2

Mississipian, the Oehler folk received some kinda bid either from the gov or a large corp. to make something else other than chrono's, that's what they told me 5-6 years ago.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Love the Oehler 35P....have a few of them....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Love the Oehler 35P....have a few of them....

Mac

And NOT selling a one I suppose...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohler 35P now 25 years old and still like new.
I only live about 40 miles for Ohlers Research Center. The customer service and support if you ever need it is just like Butch Searcys.
Good shooting.....

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought the Oehler 35 decades ago and going strong.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can anyone determine if there chronograph is giving accurate numbers?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
How can anyone determine if there chronograph is giving accurate numbers?

Compare it against an Oehler 3 skyscreen chronograph; the extra screen being the proof channel.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oehler is making 35P's again if you are looking for one. Glad I went with the CED and the lower price. Read about it here:
http://www.accurateshooter.com...topic,3746060.0.html

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by EZ

quote:
Bought the Oehler 35 decades ago and going strong.

But will it last another 350 years?

Ok had to get that in before some other smart ass did.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can do is repeat myself and say I sold my 35P. Hated carrying the dang thing around and setting it up.
Bought the CED with the infrared screens and battery pack and spend about $375 delivered to my house.
Certaintly not an expert on chrono's but can't see how the average shooter can say one is more accurate than another.
IMO, this is one of subjects where there are many different opinions but do not see how they can be based upon proven facts. We are at the mercy of the companies making them and do not (at least I don't) have the knowledge or testing equipment to prove what works or doesnt work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with all chronographs and accuracy is that there are a wide assortment of factors that can affect the accuracy of even a chrono in perfect working order. Type of light i.e. sun, phlorescent, light angle, shade, sun glint off of bullets. not to mention if the bullet crosses both screens at the same location. Some time try making sure that the bullet crosses exactly center of both screens and then try the same load with the bullet crossing the right side of the first screen and the left side of the second. You will be amazed at the difference in readings. I have used a Competition Electronis unit for over 25 years and it has worked great for me. Also it only costs q little over $100.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote