Find
Notify
Tools

Bushing firing pin holes...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I got an answer to this a couple of years ago, but have lost it...

I have a cheapo double rifle in 9.3x74R (an older Valmet 412) which I have regulated myself to where I really don't want to get rid of it...it will now reliably put 4 shots at 100 yards (two uppers and two lowers) into less than an inch using RWS brass, 286 gr. Norma steel-jacketed bullets, and CCI F-34 primers.

BUT, it really needs to have the firing pins bushed. Who will do that sort of work and do it well without keeping the gun for a year?

If it is more appropriate, feel free to answer me by either PM, or by email to jose8x57 at Gmail dot com

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one I can think of who might do this is JJ Perodeau at Champlins. Give them a call.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New England Custom Guns would be another option.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would contact Ellis Brown. He has written the book on converting shotguns to double rifles. He has done this work before and I can attest to the quality of his work.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
On SXS actions I've seen a dovetail milled across the holes and drilled to a smaller diameter.
But on an O/U I don't know how they'd mill the dovetail.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In reply to Mike Brooks' comment, I would assume they could make the same cut on the vertical instead of the horizontal as long as there was some way to secure the insert in place.

Cheers,

Matt Moore

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
True except the bottom of the reciever would prevent a cutting pass thru all the way. I'm not a machinist though.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had a Perazzi O/U that had issues with firing pin holes, etc. Sent it to Perazzi in California and Lucco, their head 'smith, milled a dovetail vertically, replaced the 'soft face' around the firing pin holes, cleaned it all up, re-engraved the receiver top where the dovetail had been cut, re-blued same, and sent it back to me. All at no charge !!!

So, it can be done.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote