New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more Searcy Field Grade?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

I visited the Searcy site yesterday and the field grade is no longer listed. PH model is the cheapest now with a 15.500 price tag, intercepting sears and ejectors included. Anybody knows more?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe in a earlier post by Butch Searcy he said for safety reasons he will no longer be building rifles without intercepting sears. Hence no more PH models

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
The field grade was discontinued on August 20th. I don't know the reason why. It was a great gun. Perhaps it will return in the future.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is kind of a paradox situation.
The new Heym is 2,5k cheaper then a Searcy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
The field grade was discontinued on August 20th. I don't know the reason why. It was a great gun. Perhaps it will return in the future.

I was debating a Searcy Field Grade vs. a V.C. I guess this makes my decision much easier.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Heym builds the new model New Guy is talking about then yes it will be cheaper. But the Searcy will have ejectors and the new model Heym will not.

After being a member of the DRSS for a few years my best advice is DON'T WAIT to order one, reguardless of the brand you order. If you think the price will come down on a new production rifle you are wrong. Some companies might make a different model, without the same standard features at a lower price but I seriously doubt a company will offer the same exact model at a lower price than they did a year or two ago.

The longer you wait the more you are going to pay for a new rifle. If you are seriously interested then call any of the guys who sell the most popular brands and get a deposit in the mail and order than rifle TODAY. Where there is a will there is a way. Sell what you have to, cut out the $5 lattes, etc. Seriously, shit or get off the pot.

I wouldnt be the least bit shocked if you called Butch (not emailed, but called) and told him a check would be put in the mail this week that he wouldnt build you a Field Grade. Thats just my opinion.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After talking to Butch on Thursday, he mentioned that the PH model was going to replace the Field Grade and the additional cost was going to partially cover the cost of the intercepting sears, a $4,000 addition to the gun. Bet it is worth it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
After talking to Butch on Thursday, he mentioned that the PH model was going to replace the Field Grade and the additional cost was going to partially cover the cost of the intercepting sears, a $4,000 addition to the gun. Bet it is worth it.

Check out the Searcy website. The new PH model is listed, and it looks a lot like the old Field Grade, only the PH model has intercepting sears like Pagosa mentioned. When I last spoke to Butch, he told me he was putting intercepting sears on all his guns from now on. He did not want one of his rifles "dropped" resulting in an accidental discharge and the tragic results that followed as in a couple of cases this year.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus, when I talked to Butch this morning, I believe that he mentioned that the PH model also came with ejectors. Hell of a deal on a nice rifle IMHO.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was debating a Searcy Field Grade vs. a V.C. I guess this makes my decision much easier.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my situation - made my decision simpler. But I was leaning towards the VC anyways.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Searcy classic.If I were to buy another rifle I think that would be it.It would be nice to have two,one in 450-400 and the other in 500NE-26 inch ``flambant neuve`` barrels.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, the custom no frills double, with reliable and good customer support is gone, and nobody to fill the gap

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeljko:
Yes, the custom no frills double, with reliable and good customer support is gone, and nobody to fill the gap

I care to differ with that statement. Have you looked at the VC PH Round Body? It fits your description 100%.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

I care to differ with that statement. Have you looked at the VC PH Round Body? It fits your description 100%.

Yea, and the Heym "Jaeger" and PH, Krieghoff Classic, Chapuis Brousse, and Merkel too.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea, and the Heym "Jaeger" and PH, Krieghoff Classic, Chapuis Brousse, and Merkel too.

Dave, I'm not sure those would fit his description as to the best of my knowledge, you can't get the K-Gun, Chapuis, Merkel, or new Jaeger customized. They are production guns where as the VC PH Round Body can be ordered to the customer's desires, as could Butch's Field Grade.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dave, I'm not sure those would fit his description as to the best of my knowledge, you can't get the K-Gun, Chapuis, Merkel, or new Jaeger customized. They are production guns where as the VC PH Round Body can be ordered to the customer's desires, as could Butch's Field Grade.

Todd:

If you order a new gun, I am sure that you can get the Krieghoff, Chapuis, or Heym, built to your custom specs. I had my little Chapuis built for me. I wish I had ordered an extended top tang for it but you can get them built to your specs. I don't know about the Merkel.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave, I didn't realize that. I didn't think Chapuis would customize other than some aesthetics such as CCH and engraving. Maybe I was hung up on the fact that they won't do a splinter fore-end.

Will Kreighoff build the stock to your dimensions? Chris stated the new Heym Jaeger has a set stock LOP, barrel length, finish, and even caliber.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff will build a custom stock (mine is left hand). The will also custom engrave.

Another option they offer is custom contouring the action, forearm latches, and fences.

They also offer scope mounts, special sights, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well, I stand corrected then!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the recent post by Butch Searcy - it's back, and at a price tag of $8750!!!!!!

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BUT!!!
Butch told me this afternoon that he is only building 10 of these a year. Hope I'm not talking out of school.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is about Marketing & pricing strategy. How to sell a higher value product & make a living while competing against lower priced ones?

I wonder if Butch is reaching critical mass and needs to increase capacity to keep up with price and option pressures from the European competition.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
When Heym underprices you due to your discontinuing your entry level model, you'd best think twice. The margin might be wonderful on the high end stuff, but ya gotta eat between orders for $40,000 rifles. $8750 is rewinding Butch's price structure by more than a few years.....helluva deal.