Find
Notify
Tools

Valmet and CZ BRNO
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
Anyone have a Valmet or CZ BRNO double rifle or rifle/shotgun combo. I am thinking I would like to play with a double. Never had one before. Not looking for a stopping gun, but maybe 30-06, or 308 or similar.
thooughts?
Pics always appreciated.
Anyone have one they might someday get rid of?

thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2602 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
Anyone have a Valmet or CZ BRNO double rifle or rifle/shotgun combo. I am thinking I would like to play with a double. Never had one before. Not looking for a stopping gun, but maybe 30-06, or 308 or similar.
thooughts?
Pics always appreciated.
Anyone have one they might someday get rid of?

thanks

HB, Both those brands are good and are worth their prices. Both are Over/Under configuration and as far as I know both are extractor rifles.

I had a Valmet shooting system a few years ago, and I had zero trouble with it. A fiend of mine has a BRNO double that was originally chambered for 458 Win Mag and is now re-chambered for 458 LOTT. Both my Valmet and Bal’s BRNO are super accurate, and neither has given a problem that I’m aware of.

I will say here that IMO, a double rifle should always be chambered for a rimmed cartridge, if there is any chance it will be used in any place where dangerous game lives. Rimless, or belted rimless cartridge can be prone to extraction problems. Both those rifle are available in rimmed chamberings. My suggestion would be 9.3X74R using 286 gr bullets. That cartridge is about as good all-around cartridge for North America, you could ask for, for everything from coyotes to brown bear, and is legal for the big five in Zimbabwe as well. Either one of those rifles can be scoped with a quick-detach scope mount to really get all the rifle has to offer! However if you are prone to the 30-06 ballistics, the Valmet comes chambered for, I think, 30-Blaser which was designed for a cartridge that is the same as the 30-06 only with a rimmed case, which is more reliable in a double rifle. In any event a 30-06 can be rechambered for the 30 Blaser which will clean the 06 chamber with only the re-cutting the extractor and barrel butt for the rim, a very simple gun smithing job.

What ever you decide, let me be the first to welcome you to the DRSS ( Double Rifle Shooter’s Society)

………………………………………………………………………................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka 512SD, same as Valmet I believe, in 9.3x74R. I have two other barrel sets for it as well. 12 ga. O/U and 12 ga/7x57R. Love the gun!
I have no idea why Americans don't go for the 9.3x74R other than the "not invented here" syndrome

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Does anyone have contact info or website for sellers/distributors of these. I like the looks of the Tikka also

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2602 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used guns here
http://www.gunsinternational.c...ifles.cfm?cat_id=381

Marocchi in Italy make the newest version.
http://www.marocchiarmi.it/efinclassic.html

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Valmet shotguns, and DR's chambered in 9.3x74R have selective ejectors, but none of the combo bbls do.

I have owned numerous Valmet 412's and still own a few, including more than 25 bbl sets... Here's what a 412 look like, still new in the box,

This is the QD scope mount, it's all steel and works very good.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own two and several barrels. I think they are great!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold and used many Valmet 412s. They are the best value on the planet. I'm boiling down my personal collection to a double 12ga, double 20ga, double 9.3, and combos in 7x65R and .223. The rest are for sale on gunbroker right now.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote