New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding scope to SIACE 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was out shooting my 45-70 double in preparation for Ohio deer season on Staurday. It was snowing and fairly dark at midday. I shot terribly mostly because I was not focusing well, and it was blowing quite hard,not unusual weather for deer season. During the year, using it as my practice rifle together with my .577, mostly in the sun, I could group 2-4" at 100yd. My eyes are obviously not up to focusing in the poorer light as well as they used to. Thinking of adding a scope rail and a B&C type scope (I love my Leupold B&C on my Gibbs .505, but would not get as powerful scope ). Who would you recommend? I don't have JJ s info but it seems he has a great reputation but probably long wait?

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
JJ does great work & can certainly put a scope on for you,but the weight of the scope might shift regulation,I have had very good luck with the doctor optic sights on all my DR's,poor light conditions are no problem at all & they have never failed me yet on a number of hunts.JJ can also install one of those on your rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. Good luck with the Michigan game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Siace 45-70 with factory installed bases. The Siace has a narrow rib & the scope base sits on top of the rib with legs that come down the side of the rib, it is attached with screws. If I remember correctly the base was made by Recknagel.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ken. It's with JJ and he s adding a base and red dot scope to the rib. If it works I m thinking of adding a red dot to my .577 VC. Any thoughts about best way to add it and red dots for a .577?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Doctor brand, although the Meopta & Trijicon are also good. You want a QD mount. JJ can do the work & also offer advice.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 577 VC? You're my hero! I miss mine...had one in 600 NE as well :-(

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ken. Biebs my problem is I can never part with the memories from each rifle and they are rich with the .577 and it shoots great. Just ordered today some classics on those that used them.. Baker, Sutherland, Neumann, Thompson. Of course also Hemingway but I have his. I don't have Georg Rushby s. Buff planned for next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An update for those interested. I took the 45-70 and 577 out to the range after JJ added the Aimpoints. The 45-70 increased spread to about 10" or so with the lighter load probably because of the Aimpoint affecting regulation but when I combined the 6x magnifier with the H2 and used P+ ammo (Grizzly 405 gr soft at 2050 fps right barrel and Punch 450 solid) it grouped about 3" inches or so at 100yds So I ll take it along for PG. The cheek weld on the 577 is obviously not as good now and not as good to shoot, or accurate, but I think I can fix that. I ll try some combos .. TSX, CEB solids and Non con #13 to see if I can get it down to 3-4" at 100yds. After a few rounds of sighting in the Aimpoint I needed a break before further testing. JJ also fixed my safety on my Gibbs .505 and I tested it out. As Before, 1" groups at 100yds. Really great rifle but I think I ll leave it and bring the 45-70 instead for plains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LR3 If you don't mind me asking what did they charge and how long was the wait.

I also have a SIACE 45/70 that I owould like to put a RMR on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ was excellent and about two week turn around and about $400 for each rifle mounting. Aim points of course separate. Just be warned that as I found and had read it does throw off your regulation but mine came together very nicely at a higher velocity. I m sure the experts can explain it better than me in terms of two barrels and weight deflection effects.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. Did you send the complete rifle or just the barrels? If I looked at the weights on the H2 and the 6X it added 12to 15 ounces to the rifle? The RMR is with mount is in the 2 ounce range I wonder how that will affect things, guess there is one way to find out:-)

I worked up loads that regulate well with 400gr hawks and rem 405 gr bullets and the 400gr CEB along with the 350Northfork cupped solids. The rifle shoots very well but would like a red dot to hunt hyena and other nocturnal critters since it will be under very low illumination. If it works I will take it along with my 450/400 VC in 2018.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure it's heavier but more comfortable to shoot. I did look at the other red dot options and certainly the RMR and Dokter have been recommended. I sent both complete rifles.