New
Find
Notify
Tools

new guy! new double!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone! My name's Brandon. I'm an ER nurse and an avid outdoorsman. Been into firearms my whole life and just recently got into hunting, big bores, and double rifles! Heading to South Africa for plains game this fall and then Zimbabwe next summer for tuskless cow elephant and cape buffalo.

Purchased my first double a week or so ago, a Merkel 140 in .470NE, Cabela's edition with ejectors. Shot it for the first time today and love it!

I've got a million questions for everyone, but I'll reserve those for specific posts. For now, a few pictures. (Not the best, just a few I snapped at the range today.)

Posts: 1435 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to say "Welcome Aboard".

Congratulations on the purchase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

Interesting photo, Black gun versus traditional !!! LOL

Good to see you leaning into it when firing the gun.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
FF, welcome aboard and I hope you are wearing plug under the roof shooting the boomer. Your never the same after shooting a double rifle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome, guys! Very interesting point on the traditional vs black rifle, I didn't notice that! And yes, I'm wearing custom molded hearing protection. I reserve shooting without plugs for the last few rounds for out from under the overhang so long as I'm the only one on the range.

Posts: 1435 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome. You will most likely discover this is the most informative double rifle on the net.
PS: Also the most opinionated shooters as wellSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the double and welcome to the forum!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
As said above Welcome.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Welcome
I can see your the same kind of eclectic dude as me ( show up at the range with an AR and double rifle) Not to mention the allways CCW gear underneath.

My mother was a head nurse who constantly struggled to find nurses to hire. She told me that a male nurse can write there own ticket and suggested I consider it. Maybe I should have taken her advise because I did'nt buy doules or go to Africa till I was older than you appear from the photo's.

I would have done it had she mentioned all the girl nurses that I would have been working with but that did'nt don on me till much later.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
FFemt5287, Welcome to AR, and to the double rifle forum. Now all you need do is to apply yjr DRSS ( Double Rifle Shooters, Society) to your sig line.

http://www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com

Welcome to the wacky world of double rifles!

I have a Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE as well, and a Merkel 140E-1 9.3X74R both very accurate, and well built! Enjoy your new rifle because you are now hooked, and there is no turning back! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Dan Wesson PM7-10mm travels everywhere I do, and must've gotten jealous I was taking a picture of another gun without it. knife

The profession was a great one to choose. I wouldn't quite say I wrote my own ticket, but I certainly have no trouble finding work. Found a full time and a per diem job without much trouble. I'm doing decently well for 23.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR and the World of Double Rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

is it too early to tell him about April in Houston?

Rich
DRSS, Searcy .470 NE and Chapuis 9,3x74R
and four Big Bore CZ's

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forgot your eyes and ears!!! You don't want to go deaf and blind at 23.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
You forgot your eyes and ears!!! You don't want to go deaf and blind at 23.

That was just a pose with the gun, nothing but snap caps in the chamber. Big Grin

I'm wearing custom molded plugs in my ears and you can see my eyes and other set of ears sitting on the bench ontop of the targets in the lower right hand corner. I'm young, but I'm not THAT stupid killpc

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Looks like Brandon will fit right in AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Looks like Brandon will fit right in AR.

Yep, I agree !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Welcome to our world. Looks like you'll fit right in: CCW, black gun and double rifle!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great to see a young enthusiast here and happy to join in the banter. Welcome & happy hunting.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote