New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Arrived
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Chapuis arrived via USPS snail train. Picked it up today, and thought I would post a couple of pictures. Not great pictures, but I just got in from a long travel day, and these are the best I could manage.

I wouldn't have posted another set, but I got the plain case colored action, so thought some of the potential buyers might be interested. This is a UGEX with ejectors. Mounts are the Chapuis pivot. Scope is the Trijicon 1.25-4 with the tritium souce. Illuminated by a fiber optic source when light is adequate and by the tritium source in low light. Reticle is a thin post with a pointed red triangle at the tip. Eye relief is enormous and not critical.

I was surprised by the triggers. They are very shotgun like in feel, but not mushy. Pull on both sides was only about 3 pounds. I like relatively light triggers, but some may not. One other interesting note is that the rifle had two test targets. One was a normal target, with group about 1-1/4" at 50 meters. The second had a different shooter listed, and then the notation "(Control)". I suspect it was a periodic check of the testers. This guy was way better; group about 1/2".

Incidentally, the mount went on with little effort (about like a Leupold) and the forend snapped right on. The action was also lighter in opening and closing than I expected. Much less than the Merkels I had handled previously.

If I remember correctly, stock dimensions I got were 1-1/2 x 2 x 14-3/4 to front trigger with 3/8 castoff. Seems to fit me almost ideally with open sights and high enough so that the scope is comfortable. Scope/iron sight balance is always a compromise, but this seemed to work well for me.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I also got mine tonight Art! SmilerSmiler I'm glad that it's not MIA!
It's hard to really tell from pics but I might have a touch prettier wood.
It shure fits me and feels great coming to my shoulder!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think all of them from the first order are in now.

The wood on mine is really quite good, just the pictures don't show it off very well. The grain is pretty good, and contrary to the pictures color is nice and rich and well matched side to side and to the forend. What doesn't show up is all the subtle grain in the wood. It has a lot of fiddleback and what I call "flash" as you move the stock around in the light. It has a lot of depth and movement to the grain that doesn't show in the pictures.
I have been really pleased with the wood I have seen on all the guns in the group order. It seems like all of them have had wood much better than any I have seen in stock on dealer shelves. I don't know if that is because they were special orders, the wood is getting better, or that the ones on the shelf have been the "no sales".

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Now if they shoot as well as they look I'll be a happy camper! I need to 'sneak' mine in the house tonight and see about puting the mounts on.
It'll get 'road tested' this week end!!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Where will you be testing it? Izaak Walton in Chugiak?
It is comforting to know the scope mount went on easily. I was a little concerned when another poster talked about the problems they had.
Cheers.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Probably down at Potter Flats. Who knows.. Maybe Birchwood. I'll PM you when I get the mounts set on.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,
It is a great feeling getting a new double!
I hope you both have many years of pleasure with them!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. I'm sure they'll be great.

Art, Did you have any glitches with the mounts?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot a pic this weekend of my buddy's gun, also from the group buy, which has a drop-dead gorgeous piece of wood.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you both......and i echo what DOC said

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats on your new DR... i ordered the case-colored receiver also.. and no engraving.... hope that mine looks as good as yours....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Guys!

Now for live shells on the range ... enjoy!

Let us know how you like them.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. I would love to handle one some day. I guess it will happen in time. Good luck with those pretty babies. Packy

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
ARTS , that is a beautiful little rifle, and I think your pick of scopes for this rifle is a very good one! I have one of these scopes, and they are A joy to use, and as you say the eye relief is perfect for double rifle use. I bought my Trigicon with the idea of useing my 9.3X74r double for a leopard, and plains game but I haven't had it mounted on my double as yet.

Congratulations, and welcome to DRSS! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote