New
Find
Notify
Tools

First gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have negotiated a trade in deal at Cabelas.A Merkel 140A for 8300.00 or a Sabatti,clean rifling/no grinding for 4400.00.Both 470 NE.These include 9.5% SALES TAX.

I have contacted suggested dealers but I can't go over 10 grand at this point.As first double guns

will either suffice?

Thank you all.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Suffice for what?

If you mean hunting for everything up to and including elephant ...

Absolutely tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilguy, for $10K there are plenty of options I believe. Check the classifieds for old posts for double rifles. This will give you an idea of prices. Check GunBroker and GunsInternational for Kreighoffs and other doubles. Also check some of the known gun dealers whose names are mentioned here.Having said all that, the first response was key: For what? A 500/416, 450 NE or 500NE are all viable options along with the 470 for ele and buff. The 500/416 perhaps has more flexibility for other (than stopping) purposes. 10 grand will get you a fine double.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either gun preferable?I want to be able to work up loads in a dependable rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Buy the Merkel, at $8,300 a Merkel in great shape (I assume it to be) is a good buy. Forget the Sabatti, they are substandard rifles and their resale value in the future will be questionable at best.

There is no comparison between a Merkel and a Sabatti.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Buy the Merkel, at $8,300 a Merkel in great shape (I assume it to be) is a good buy. Forget the Sabatti, they are substandard rifles and their resale value in the future will be questionable at best.

There is no comparison between a Merkel and a Sabatti.

I agree fully!

.......................... BOOM.............. holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best option is have Bailey Bradshaw build you the very unique Falling Block Double and its in your price range with great wood and engraving.
Might take awhile to build and he will regulate it.
Check it out unless you need it for a Big Hunt this year.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilguy, if you search this forum you will find multiple threads on the Sabatti doubles. Some satisfied customers and some very dissatisfied customers. So, it is probably a gamble whether you will get a good one. Having said that, for many, a 10 grand rifle is a pretty serious investment so you either keep the rifle for ever, use it and sell it, or at the very least, use it a lot! That is why I mentioned the caliber choice. If you are not going to hunt DG in Africa with a double, then perhaps a 9.3x74R would be a more useful choice?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have negotiated a trade in deal at Cabelas.A Merkel 140A for 8300.00 or a Sabatti,clean rifling/no grinding for 4400.00.Both 470 NE.These include 9.5% SALES TAX.

Hi lilguy:

Here you have 2 good rifles at your disposal. A Sabatti and a Merkel, both rifles are built well. Many gun smiths and owners who know their stuff well, have stated that the Sabattis are well built, well fitted rifles, utilizing the best steel and v springs. The only gripe that these owners had was the method that was utilized to regulate these rifles. Do yourself a favor and read the posts that somebody here have suggested carefully, without any preconceived ideas, you will find that the only gripe these people had regarding the rifle, was the grinding of the muzzles and the filling of the rifling.
You say that the Sabatti has "clean rifling / no grinding" then there is noproblem here. You will be able to get it for $4400.00 including tax. It is half the price of the Merkel. It is MHO that if the sabatti has a good target with it and fits you well; save your money and buy the Sabatti.If it was me I will do it with out any second thoughts or hesitation.

Good hunting / shooting and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
As a Sabatti owner, I can say that I am very happy with mine. I did have to change out the recoil pad and had a new express sight put on as it wasn't regulated to where the test target showed (height on target at 50 yards was my problem and remedied by a gunsmith milling down a new express sight). All said and done, I love the feel\fit of the Sabatti and I find no fault\cheap workmanship (other than the recoil pad). I would not hestitate to buy another. With either choice, I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome. Resale value was mentioned previously, and there is a point. Although not planning on selling my Sabatti, I would not expect it to bring the resale value\percentage of a Merkel..but then I don't buy a gun based upon what I think I can resell it for.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

The Sabatti Regulation target shows a 10 in spread at 10 and 5 on the clock, high on left low on right. Then regulated at 4 o clock, 1.5 inch spread 2 inch right of ctr, and 1.5 inch low.50 meter range.Can one trust these test targets.I am at a loss at the lack of knowledge about Dbls at my Cabelas

I don't no s--t except for what you all have offered. They just stumble over the details.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lilguy:
Thank you all.

The Sabatti Regulation target shows a 10 in spread at 10 and 5 on the clock, high on left low on right. Then regulated at 4 o clock, 1.5 inch spread 2 inch right of ctr, and 1.5 inch low.50 meter range. Can one trust these test targets. I am at a loss at the lack of knowledge about Dbls at my Cabelas

I don't no s--t except for what you all have offered. They just stumble over the details.

No.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cane may be a little bit biased! I suggest you find out what ammo the gun was regulated with, and whether Cabelas will take the gun back if it does not work as advertized.
Cabelas seems to have a good reputation for doing this (as reported on this forum). If so, then the only thing you are out is time. Don't be too hard on Cabelas. Double rifles seem to be an art form unto themselves.
Take you time. There will always be plenty of doubles. You don't say where you live. If you did, someone here might well live in the same area and let you shoot their double.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 40 miles NW of Chicago, outside the gulag(Cook County).I have never seen a double shot at any of the clubs I have belonged to in 40 years.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can one trust these test targets.

As stated, mine was not accurate to the test target although I used the same ammo they claimed to have regulated it with. Cabela's was willing to take the gun back for new regulation but I choose not to go down that path due to time and what they might do to make it "right". A simple replacement of sight was sufficient for mine and I now reload to get even better grouping then the test target it came with. Re-regulating may not be cheap or quick but Cabelas seems to stand by the gun if you are not satisfied. Just make sure you shoot it and make the decision within 30 days or it is at your cost if something needs done.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have contacted suggested dealers but I can't go over 10 grand at this point.As first double guns

will either suffice?

Thank you all.

I got a Chapuis 470NE off the classified here for $8K and I'm tickled pink. Chapuis may not get the love other makes get but, I'm really glad I did not settle for the Sabatti.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:

will either suffice?

Thank you all.

I got a Chapuis 470NE off the classified here for $8K and I'm tickled pink. Chapuis may not get the love other makes get but, I'm really glad I did not settle for the Sabatti.

I like the Chapuis doubles a lot, they are nice rifles. A buddy of mine just sold his .470 on here for about that same price, it was a beautiful gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was discussing Sabatti regulation issues with the Gun Library Mgr near me he said that he read on the net how completely happy most owners were. I asked him if he was on NitroExpress or Accurate Reloading and the conversation took an abrupt detour. I am trying to hook up with other dbl gun shooters in my area(Chicago)to see if I can shoot one.Thank you all very much for all input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Merkel at Cabelas is new and sells for $9853.90 OTD. Is that as good a price as one is going to find on such a gun? Griffin and Howe has Blazers at 8800.00 right now.Anyone own one? Opinions please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you plan on hunting with the double?

I have zero regrets buying a Chapuis 9,3 for my first double. It is more than enough gun for anything that walks in North America.

Priced right, light, easy to carry, very accurate and easy to load for.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
quote:

Hi lilguy:

Here you have 2 good rifles at your disposal. A Sabatti and a Merkel, both rifles are built well. Many gun smiths and owners who know their stuff well, have stated that the Sabattis are well built, well fitted rifles, utilizing the best steel and v springs. The only gripe that these owners had was the method that was utilized to regulate these rifles. Do yourself a favor and read the posts that somebody here have suggested carefully, without any preconceived ideas, you will find that the only gripe these people had regarding the rifle, was the grinding of the muzzles and the filling of the rifling.
You say that the Sabatti has "clean rifling / no grinding" then there is noproblem here. You will be able to get it for $4400.00 including tax. It is half the price of the Merkel. It is MHO that if the sabatti has a good target with it and fits you well; save your money and buy the Sabatti.If it was me I will do it with out any second thoughts or hesitation.

Good hunting / shooting and God's best.

Malek

Spot on. Full disclosure, even though my Sabbati shot very well, it did have the regulation by dremel and I just could not accept that so I returned it. If there is no grinding and the test target is acceptable, that would be my choice. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
How about a brand new unfired Kreigoff Classic in 500 NE for $10,500 list price is $13,000

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe we can not discuss dealers here. Is there anyone willing to answer a PM from me about the reputation of various dealers?

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
We can discuss whatever we want on here.

I'll give a thumbs up for Hendershot's in Maryland, Champlins in Oklahoma and Ken Buch at Kebco.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
We can discuss whatever we want on here.

I'll give a thumbs up for Hendershot's in Maryland, Champlins in Oklahoma and Ken Buch at Kebco.

What he said! In regard to the rifle posted above that is a buy if you want a K-gun!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards

Anyone have experience with them?

Thank you all.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Lilguy

Since you live in a Communist country you may not own a gun, least of all artillary Wink

But seriously.
If you shop around you can get a good buy on a K gun, Merkel, Chapius. for under 10K

I have owned a Sabatti and was not happy as it did not regulate per the target.
I still own a K gun and am very happy with it.

It really comes down to personal preference and desire.

You really cannot go wrong with most of the modern doubles available today.

Find something you like and shoot well and be happy regarless of the experts.

There is good advice to be found here as well as opinions, including mine.

Good luck
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote