Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Safari
 Login/Join

posted
Just got back from my South African safari with Charl Van Rooyen of Infinito Safaris. My daughter went with me and we had the time of our lives. Took the 2 Merkels (500 and 375 H&H). The first order of business was the buffalo hunt with the 500. Took us about 4 days of hunting in thorny brush to find the right one. It was in a thicket with others about 80 yards away. Fired one shot but no time for a second. The chase then followed with the tracker PH and the tracking dog. Found it very odd that the dogs used are jack russel terriers. They are fearless. In any event we find the buffalo dead. We figure it was around 1600 pounds. We then changed locations and off for some plains game with the scoped 375. Took a warthog and large waterbuck and my daughter bagged an impala. We just had so much fun with our hosts in camp - very relaxed and easy going with great humour. On the hunt tho everything very serious and professional. Had a professional photographer along (whom my daughter quite fancied but alas he resides in Idaho) as Charl was updating the Infinito website so at some point yours truly can be seen there. Have a good pic of the buffalo but always have trouble attaching. May have to wait for my wife, who is away? Anyway a great time had by all.

Posts: 10 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 29 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was the 375 scoped?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Power wagon:
Just got back from my South African safari with Charl Van Rooyen of Infinito Safaris. My daughter went with me and we had the time of our lives. Took the 2 Merkels (500 and 375 H&H). The first order of business was the buffalo hunt with the 500. Took us about 4 days of hunting in thorny brush to find the right one. It was in a thicket with others about 80 yards away. Fired one shot but no time for a second. The chase then followed with the tracker PH and the tracking dog. Found it very odd that the dogs used are jack russel terriers. They are fearless. In any event we find the buffalo dead. We figure it was around 1600 pounds. We then changed locations and off for some plains game with the scoped 375. Took a warthog and large waterbuck and my daughter bagged an impala. We just had so much fun with our hosts in camp - very relaxed and easy going with great humour. On the hunt tho everything very serious and professional. Had a professional photographer along (whom my daughter quite fancied but alas he resides in Idaho) as Charl was updating the Infinito website so at some point yours truly can be seen there. Have a good pic of the buffalo but always have trouble attaching. May have to wait for my wife, who is away? Anyway a great time had by all.

Power Wagon,

Are you from Texas, and did you purchase those Merkels from me? If so, you have to post pictures of both your safari and your guns. Those are some really nice rifles, if you're who I think you are.

Mike Stewart

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WELL Done!! Charl and his wife are great people!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
375 was scoped with a Leupold red dot 1 to 4 power scope.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. The 500 was purchased from Wolverine, a Manitoba firearms retailer and the 375 was purchased as a used firearm in Canada.

And yes Charl and Erika are a lot of fun. I would go again with them and the 2 jack russels, Bushman and Zulu.

Posts: 10 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 29 March 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Russell's are used frequently for hunting. I hunted in So Africa with a plantation owner who used one for Blue Duiker hunting....it worked...and that little lightening bolt clearly had fun too...and was in your lap immediately after the successful hunt!!
An old houndsman buddy also had a pair as pets...that said, he showed me their mettle when he put one of them in a ring with a Raccoon much bigger than he was.....the tussle didn't last long until the JR had the Coon by the throat...and wouldn't let go until the Coon was held up off the ground by the tail!! I thought the Coon would kill the little JR...Nope, not a Chance!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Death by double rifle, fine shooting.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote