New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout Scope on a DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Chapuis two barrel set in 28ga and 30-30. I ordered the gun with shotgun dimensions and the LOP is 14-3/4". That makes it hard to find a scope with enough eye relief to see a full view of the scope image. I did find an old Leupold variable that was long enough to work, but it looked so disproportional on the little rifle. My go-to scope for long eye relief is the Leupold 2.5-8 Vari-X3 but it wouldn't work on this gun. For a while I had a 2.5X shotgun scope on it but I still couldn't quite see full view in the scope. I then tried a Leupold 2.75X scout scope and I really like that setup. I have it mounted in Recknagel swing mounts in a conventional position over the breech and the eye relief is perfect. I was concerned that it might be too close be it isn't. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The beauty of having a scope so far away, despite the loss of FoV, is that you see so much more of the country around it. This can be of great importance if hunting something like buffalo, where the target animal may not be the only one you need to worry about.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a red-dot sight be better for all-round vision on a scout set-up?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Allen

I have a RGEX Series 3 caliber 6.5x57R with 28 ga. barrels. Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 is perfect with the DR barrels. FYI, also have a UGEX .30R with Minox ZA5 1.5-8x32. Perfect again. Both in same Recknagel QD mounts as yours. Hope to see you and Sam next week.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a Red Dot, Ultra Dot on my 500 NE.
Works very well.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two scout scope set ups both 2x leupolds they are fast.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mine is also a low power Leupold variable which is usually set to 1 (no magnification), but it is a "low rider" not a scout scope location. The trick is to mill the mount grooves into the rib:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote