THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    John Wilkes 500NE Mar 23 Amoskeag Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wilkes 500NE Mar 23 Amoskeag Auction
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
JohnWilkes500

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Some rework here. What is cool to me is the action engraving is the same as on my .600 Wilkes. I elephant on the left is 100%.
Thanks for posting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that goes for at least $10K...maybe even $11K !!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The guy who did that re-stock should be beaten openly by it (once it is promptly removed from the barreled action)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tendrams

I thought something didn't look right about it.

What in your opinion is not correct about the
wood on that gun ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Some rework here. What is cool to me is the action engraving is the same as on my .600 Wilkes. I elephant on the left is 100%.
Thanks for posting.
Cal

Cal, Is the action of your 600 the same as the 500 Wilkes?. The reason I ask is that action looks just like the actions that Jeffery used.

Does your 600 Wilkes say anything about the kind of steel the barrels are made of, under the forend, such as Krupp Essen [or Esssen]???

I wonder the same about the 500.

Also the engraving looks the same as I have seen on Jeffery doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to say that the rifle is a Leonard made rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'd be willing to say that the rifle is a Leonard made rifle!

The thought had crossed my mind.

I don't have my 500 at hand to check a few things
but I think you could be right. I'd like
to see a photo of the top of the action.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
The guy who did that re-stock should be beaten openly by it (once it is promptly removed from the barreled action)

being new to doubles, what am i missing on the stock?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just dawned on me.

The Foreend is a direct copy of
those 470's that Champlin had
made and brought into the US by
? Seargent ?

Edit - William Douglas was the "brand".

The lever style, location and
semi beaver tail.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
If one is to restock a double, it should be done to the lines of the original. This rifle was made with a proper splinter forend. When it was restocked and the beavertail was added it was a "different" touch to keep the original forend iron in place and build the larger foarend around it. My mom taught me not to cuss so I will avoid my opinion.

Nice wood and the workmanship is OK but the lines are not true English lines in the butt. The cheekpiece should not extend forward but rather a pancake, shadowline or not.

Wilkes made 9 .600s. 4-5 on a true .600 frame and weighed 15 pounds or so. 4-5 were made on a .500 frame and weighed 11-12 pounds. I have the former and a friend one of the latter and an 11-pound .600 is horrible to shoot.

The engraving on this and the two .600s I know of was done by the same nameless guy. It is hard to tell them apart.

The Wilkes ledgers do not record whom made the rifles so I can't comment on a name. Jeffery ledgers state the maker in most of not all serial number blocks. However, as Wilkes sold 9 .600s under their name and many more to the trade both finished and "in the white" I always thought JW made their own rifles. Many of those sold are not listed in the ledger as they did not have a serial number. The SN was added by whomever was to finish and sell the rifle.

The action looks identical to mine, but smaller. I can't recall the steel maker's name on the barrels. The rib, side clips. and rear sight also match my rifle.

Cheers, gents.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
It just dawned on me.

The Foreend is a direct copy of
those 470's that Champlin had
made and brought into the US by
? Seargent ?

Edit - William Douglas was the "brand".

The lever style, location and
semi beaver tail.

It was not Champlin, it was Don Shrum of Cape Outfitters in MO, but yes it looks the same, i had one of the William Douglass rifles back 4-5 years ago...nice rifles for the money.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
cal pappas: If one is to restock a double, it should be done to the lines of the original. This rifle was made with a proper splinter forend. When it was restocked and the beavertail was added it was a "different" touch to keep the original forend iron in place and build the larger foarend around it....Nice wood and the workmanship is OK but the lines are not true English lines in the butt. The cheekpiece should not extend forward but rather a pancake, shadowline or not.
Looks to me like there is enough "meat" on the butt & forend to whittle down more like original. Perhaps the cheekpiece would still be a little high but the foreward line could be rounded like a pancake. Forend could definitely be slimmed, recheckered.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505ED

Yep, thanks for the correction.

I have one as well in 470.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
If one is to restock a double, it should be done to the lines of the original. This rifle was made with a proper splinter forend. When it was restocked and the beavertail was added it was a "different" touch to keep the original forend iron in place and build the larger foarend around it. My mom taught me not to cuss so I will avoid my opinion.

Nice wood and the workmanship is OK but the lines are not true English lines in the butt. The cheekpiece should not extend forward but rather a pancake, shadowline or not.

Wilkes made 9 .600s. 4-5 on a true .600 frame and weighed 15 pounds or so. 4-5 were made on a .500 frame and weighed 11-12 pounds. I have the former and a friend one of the latter and an 11-pound .600 is horrible to shoot.

The engraving on this and the two .600s I know of was done by the same nameless guy. It is hard to tell them apart.

The Wilkes ledgers do not record whom made the rifles so I can't comment on a name. Jeffery ledgers state the maker in most of not all serial number blocks. However, as Wilkes sold 9 .600s under their name and many more to the trade both finished and "in the white" I always thought JW made their own rifles. Many of those sold are not listed in the ledger as they did not have a serial number. The SN was added by whomever was to finish and sell the rifle.

The action looks identical to mine, but smaller. I can't recall the steel maker's name on the barrels. The rib, side clips. and rear sight also match my rifle.

Cheers, gents.
Cal

Cal
With the research that Bob Cuyler and I have done, we believe that Jeffery rifles when ordered, were delivered completed (finished rifles) by Leonard to the customer's specs. The Leonard serial number on the under rib near the barrel loop can also be found under the bottom plate of the action. It can also be found stamped in ink under the metal of the forearm and stock.
If Leonard only delivered actions or barreled actions, why was their number (not the Jeffery serial number) appear on so many parts of the rifle?
Jeffery made very few if any rifles. It was in the truest sense of the phrase a "Boutique Gun Store".

That's why my A. Hollis and Son looks just like a Jeffery rifle of the same era. They were all made by Leonard!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Leonard was only one of the suppliers to Jeffery. I have copies of the intro to each ledger at home that lists them all and what serial number block they made the firearms. The British firearms industry sure is a complex business compared to US makers such as Winchester and Remington.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. If you are interested in the number blocks and the makers, email me in a week when I get home and I will either post it here or send it to you.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir it was! Would love to see what you have for Leonard.

Many of the Birmingham gun makers supplied the named Houses such as Jeffery. In the case of Leonard they supplied finished rifles as far as our research shows.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Yes, sir it was! Would love to see what you have for Leonard.

So would I.

Very interesting what you have posted.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The Nigel Brown series of books have also stated that Thomas Turner was one of the major suppliers to Jeffries.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote