New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a very good friend and regular hunting buddy who is currently looking at a new Merkel 140 ejector in 9.3 x 74R. The gun shop doesn't sound too clued up on DR's from what he has told me with most of his questions being directed back to the importer. I'm making enquiries on here in the hope of clearing a few things up for him.

The rifle in question supposedly has adjustable regulation and came with a factory target marked with the 232 grain vulcan load for regulation. I was under the impression that the 140's had the factory soldered wedge regulated barrels and were not available with the adjustable regulation feature. From what he describes the muzzle has a wedge which protrudes a couple on mm and no adjustment screws. The info on the Merkel website says both the 140 and the 141 have adjustable barrels. I took this to be a misprint.

Is anyone able to clear this up? If this rifle doesn't have adjustable regulation it may not be suitable as we are looking at using the 286gr projectiles for larger Australian game. Alternately has anyone had any luck with a Merkel 140 getting them to shoot with a load other than factory regulation?

Thanks
Rhodes

DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Rhodes - it sounds like the 140 you describe does not have adjustable regulation. As such, your friend will have to work up or find a load that regulates in the rifle should he decide to buy it. This can be a time consuming process. Double rifles are regulated for a specific velocity, so you would be looking to duplicate the velocity of the Vulcan 232 gr load as closely as possible. For sure, you will need a chronograph to determine the velocity of the loads you are using. As an aside, I owned a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74R that was regulated for the Vulcan 232 gr load. Every load I tried in it worked well (within 2" barrel to barrel at 50 yds). I eventually settled on 250gr Barnes TSX and Solids as being the best, although the Barnes 286 gr loads also worked well. This rifle is now in the hands of the 13 year old son of my PH in Zimbabwe. He has already dispatched a couple of buffalo and numerous heads of plains game with it.

I hope this helps!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
subsailor

Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. Your comments echo my thoughts and what I passed on in conversation about the rifle. Can I assume your 141 had the hard soldered fixed regulation and not the adjustable screw regulation?

You touched on DR's being regulated to a certain velocity. I believe the 232gr factory loads punch out at ~2550fps while the 286gr factory loads are at ~2300fps. My concern with trying to find a load using a heavier 286gr bullet that will regulate is trying to drive said bullet at the higher velocities. It sounds like you had no problem with your rifle getting it to group with different bullet weights. Do you remember what sort of velocities you were driving them at?

Thanks
Rhodes

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Rhodes - my 141 had the screw adjustable type of regualtion, but I never had to touch the screws as no adjustment was ever needed. Every load I tried in that rifle shot well. I guess I just got lucky. I never chronographed my loads because I did not need to.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
subsailor, thanks. Sounds like you had a good one.

Apologies for the minute details, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. That and I just like talking about doubles :-)

Cheers
Rhodes

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That and I just like talking about doubles :-)

Welcome to AR...you certainly came to the right place then!!! :-)

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs! :-)

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hello Rhodes:

Welcome and go back and look at my post of "first blood with my double Merkel."

The rifle in the pictures is a Merkel 141 E in 9.3x74R. This rifle has the two regulation screws at the front end of the gun between the barrels.

My gun was originally regulated for the 232 grain bullet but with a little messing around and some reloaded ammo, I have this gun shooting 1 inch groups at 100 metres with a 270 grain Hot Cor bullet.

The Model 140 does not regulate with screws.
If you want to change the point of aim, you have to have the barrels resoldered and reregulated or work up a load using handloads.

Good luck.

regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello carpediem4570, yes I've followed some of the progress you've had with your Merkel. A great result and judging by the size of the grin in the photo's, you must be thrilled with the results!

It does sound like this rifle has the soldered barrels as you say and I thought all 140 rifles were regulated as such. However the website has the following posted:

----------------------------------------------
first paragraph:-
"SIDE-BY-SIDE RIFLE 140 - THE MOVING DOUBLE

A special offer for aficionados of soldered barrel sets: classically designed Merkel side-by-side rifles. The soldered barrels and the adapted 20 calibre receiver ensure an agreeable recoil due to the greater weight."

----------------------------------------------
second paragraph mentions adjustable muzzle:-

"Details

SIDE-BY-SIDE RIFLE 140:

Anson & Deeley locks | steel action | Greener-style cross bolt and double bottom bite | double trigger with front set trigger, optional single trigger | automatic trigger safety | optional with ejectors | hard soldered barrels with muzzle adjustment, horizontal and vertical |"

---------------------------------------------
I think this was the source of confusion for the Gun Dealer. He sounds like a stand up guy though and willing to stand behind the rifle if it doesn't shoot. So worst case he might have to work up some loads and I get to help play with a Merkel, and it doesn't cost me anything..........for now Wink

Cheers
Rhodes

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Mine has the adjustable regulation. I have never touched it. It came from factory regulated for Norma Oryx 285gr. I have found the cheapest bullet (Speer 270gr Hotcore #2459) shoots better to 100 yards. These are fantastic little guns.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
To all interested - review of a 141 (the adjustable one):

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy can you get in a mess trying to reregulate one of those doubles with the screws, especially the big bores! Combo of recoil and flinchitas and what not come into play after a dozen or so rounds..Had several folks bring me a Merkel to fix after they had it all out of wack...I'm not particularly fond of the adjustment system..Every double should have one load and one load only IMO, and leave it alone. I know there are those who cannot leave anything alone and some are good friends and I get the impression they could screw up and anvil with a powder puff, they should not own double rifles! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Boy can you get in a mess trying to reregulate one of those doubles with the screws, especially the big bores! Combo of recoil and flinchitas and what not come into play after a dozen or so rounds..Had several folks bring me a MERKEL to fix after they had it all out of wack...I'm not particularly fond of the adjustment system..Every double should have one load and one load only IMO, and leave it alone. I know there are those who cannot leave anything alone and some are good friends and I get the impression they could screw up and anvil with a powder puff, they should not own double rifles! sofa

I agree with Ray on the adjustable regulation on any double rifle,I do not like the idea at all, however, the Merkel double rifles do not have adjustable regulation on rifle chambered for cartridges larger than 9.3X74R. I could be wrong, but I'm no aware of any double rifle make that has adjustable regulation on any rifle larger than 9.3X74R. On Merkel double rifles the adjustable regulation came out with the model 141,and that model is not available chambered for a chambering larger than 9.3X74.

The model 140 is not available with adjustable regulation, but does have the option if selective ejectors,and a single trigger! The ejectors I have on mine,but I have no use for a single trigger on a double rifle,though I own one with a single trigger but a double trigger is not available for this rifle. It is a Winchester over/under Grand Europian 9.3X74R,with a quick detach scope! It's regulation is about the quality of most of the SABATTIs,so I never shoot it, and JJ will not re-regulate it, so it is a very expensive wall decoration! I suppose in this case adjustable regulation would be a very good idea,considering it is useless as it is!

......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Boy can you get in a mess trying to reregulate one of those doubles with the screws, especially the big bores! Combo of recoil and flinchitas and what not come into play after a dozen or so rounds..Had several folks bring me a MERKEL to fix after they had it all out of wack...I'm not particularly fond of the adjustment system..Every double should have one load and one load only IMO, and leave it alone. I know there are those who cannot leave anything alone and some are good friends and I get the impression they could screw up and anvil with a powder puff, they should not own double rifles! sofa

I agree with Ray on the adjustable regulation on any double rifle,I do not like the idea at all, however,one saving item is the Merkel double rifles do not have adjustable regulation on rifle chambered for cartridges larger than 9.3X74R. I could be wrong, but I'm no aware of any double rifle make that has adjustable regulation on any rifle larger than 9.3X74R. On Merkel double rifles the adjustable regulation came out with the model 141,and that model is not available chambered for a chambering larger than 9.3X74.

The model 140 is not available with adjustable regulation, but does have the option if selective ejectors,and a single trigger! The ejectors I have on mine,but I have no use for a single trigger on a double rifle,though I own one with a single trigger but a double trigger is not available for this rifle. It is a Winchester over/under Grand Europian 9.3X74R,with a quick detach scope! It's regulation is about the quality of most of the SABATTIs,so I never shoot it, and JJ will not re-regulate it, so it is a wall decoration! I suppose in this case adjustable regulation would be a very good idea,considering it is useless as it is!

......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mouse, thanks for posting that vid. First time I've seen it. Short barrels on those 141's, bit like my pedersoli, except the pedersoli is a bit barrel heavy. The barrels on that 141 look like shotgun barrels, no wonder they are so light!

Out of interest I ran a set of calipers over the muzzle of two guns in my safe for comparison.

Pedersoli 9.3 x 74R went 145 thou" at the muzzle
Winchester levergun in .375Win went 110 thou".

Does anyone have a Merkel 141 they can post up for comparison?