THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Maximum Practical Range for Doubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maximum Practical Range for Doubles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the maximum practical range for an iron sighted double, shooting off a bipod or tripod, at plains game?

I have made several 1-shot kills on African antelope in excess of 200 yards with a .300 magnum. A double is not as accurate because of (a) no scope sight (at least as I would use it), (b) regulation, and (c) trajectory.

Regarding iron sights, I can easily hit game-sized targets at 200 or 300 yards. However, that's using aperture sights and a black bull on a contrasting white background, and at a known range. Field conditions and open sights are harder.

Can double sights even be adjusted finely for elevation?

Regarding trajectory, I have a .458 bolt rifle. Sighted at 100 yards, it is about 6 or 7 inches low at 200. I imagine a 9.3x74R would be a little better but a .450/400 worse, due to velocities.

All things considered, I'd guess 150 or 175 yards would be a tough shot, though I have no experience with doubles.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I once shot a caribou at about 250 with my merkel 8x57. everything else I ever shot with a double has been 150 or less.

I was stalking an eland once with my .458 bolt rifle but the shot was at about 150 and I switched from the iron sighted bolt gun to a 9.3x74 double because it had a scope on claw mounts and the bull was hard to see through the brush even though I had a clear shot.

I hope N.E. 450#2 post here. I know he has taken game at or over 300 yards.

My Sodia .338 is my most accurate double rifle. I've never needed to take a long shot with it but if I knew I would ever be in a situation where I would need to rely on a double rifle for a long shot the Sodia would be the one.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote