Find
Notify
Tools

How much BLING is too much
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im in the DR search mode and while I suppose I want it to be nice looking, I dont think I really need engraving or super fancy wood. That being said Im not looking for something that looks like a Savage shotgun, either. Dont get me wrong some of the engraving options are cool and works of art in and of themselves; but I come from a military background and chances are my rifle barrel was used to clear brush out of the way as much as a machete.

When Im spending +10K on a double rifle I want it to be well made, especially when we're talking about a Dangerous Game rifle; but I dont want to be afraid to scratch it, or worry if I lean it up against a tree. I want something I will be able to leave to my kids; but I'll be just as happy if theres wear on the grip and the blueing is gone on the barrels from where I held it balanced on my shoulder during long walks.

Again I look at some of the relief engraving and animal scenes in amazement; but I still think the Best engraving is from use.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well, then Heym, Merkel, Verney-Carron and others I've not personally owned would all fit the bill. All those named can be had for $8,000 - 18,000 and meet your described criteria easily. No engraving to basic roll & scroll but all exceedingly well built with good, basic, straight-grain wood.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...couple of plodders hanging in the markets nowadays:

P. Orr & Sons

Watson Bros:

Webley & Scott:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
EDELWEISS, No matter the decoration, IMO you will be better served by buying a NEWLY MADE double rifle till you learn a lot more before getting into the older used name brand double rifles! There are a lot of camouflaged "PIGS IN LACE" out there, and it is easy to get stung with a shiny pig that has been dressed up over dirty underwear. Eeker

........................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to make a trip to SCI in Vegas 1-4 Feb and visit all the builders. Then make your decision and order what you want after you are fitted for the rifle. You can see the bling, decide what you like, don't like, etc and go from there.

Wished I would of followed my own advice several years ago. It would of saved me the frustration of having two doubles built that did not fit perfectly. The only double I had built that fit me like a glove is my Searcy Field Grade.

For my next one I will follow my own advice and enjoy the sights in Vegas for a couple of days and be properly fitted. Besides, it has got to be warmer in Vegas than Alaska in Feb!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Merkel shoulders well for you, that's a good, durable no-frills DR that can be had for $8,500-$9,200.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote