THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Jacketed bullets in BPEs and barrel wear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jacketed bullets in BPEs and barrel wear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts regarding bore wear on the use of conventional jacketed bullets (e.g., Woodleighs or Speers) in black powder express rifles (pre-1900 with conventional rifling)? The rifle in question was regulated with paper patched bullets (inscribed on the barrel)

I understand that the trapdoor 45-70 folks avoid them due to excessive barrel wear.

Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I believe that jacketed bullets may erode yesterday's softer steels somewhat faster than modern steels but that the much lesser abuse of smokeless vs. black powder or/and cordite will largely compensate the former.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And do the majority shoot enough for it to be a concern ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would disagree that modern primers and blackpowder is more abusive to barrels than smokeless. Why not try to find the proper lead bullet to paper patch for the majority of your shooting and leave the jacketed rounds for the occasional hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fun of these old guns, is to reproduce the load that the gun was built for. I will not shoot jackeded bullets in my Damascus barrels...not so much that they would hurt the barrels, but the original loads used cast bullets. They shoot great, and a hard cast bullet will penetrate better than any jacketed soft nose bullet. You don't need a bullet to expand when it is already .458, .510, .585, etc...
This is just my experience with BPE's. Opinions may vary...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
You mention Woodleighs and Speers, both of which are pretty tough bullets.
I use Hawk copper jacketed bullets in my W.R. 1869 and 500/450 Farquaharson - both have Henry rifling so I thought the same as you that the softer bullet will be kinder to the rifling and I could avoid the sizing/lubricating of cast bullets.
I also have used some 350gr .458" Berry's bullets in the Farq and they shoot just like the Hawks but much less cost. They are just copper clad too. Not steel jacketed.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius

Woodleigh SN are made from Guilding metal, not steel. Only FMJ's are made from Steel.

They are also tapered as well as per the original Kynoch bullets (at least the DR bullets are).

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There are many suppliers of quality lead cast bullets in case you don't want to make your own. You just need toi slug the tube and give them the proper size. Have them sized about .001 to .002 over sized and it's going to work fine.
Leading isn't an issue with good lube and cleaning it with Areo-Kroil. The lead comes loose very quickly.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote