THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Docter Optic reflex discontinued
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Docter Optic reflex discontinued
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out the Docter reflex sight has been discontinued. SWFA has about 30 left, marked down to $249. CDNN has them for the same price.
Maybe there is a new model coming out, but Josh at SWFA said something is going on with the company. If you are considering one of these, it might be best to act soon.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is swfa & cdnn ?

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
SWFA

http://swfa.com/default.aspx

An optics dealer in Texas.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.cdnninvestments.com is a sporting goods/gun outfit.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a new model comming out.

I have not seen it yet, but I can say I really like the current Doctor Optic II.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I really had no initial interest in installing a "scope" on my double, but after reading some of these posts and seeing the look of these red dots, the footprint is quite small. It still keeps the overall look of the double which I like. After reading through quite a few posts here on AR around red dots and what people have used or recommended, I just broke down and ordered the 3.5 MOA Docter from CDNN. Shipping was reduced to $5 for through Black Friday. Not a bad deal. OpticPlanet (Dvor) has the Burris FastFires on sale with mounts for $185 but the overall concensus seems to lean towards the Docter as a better unit, so that's why my decision.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few DO's and one Burris. There is nothing wrong with the Burris, but I loike the DO better. The dot seems a little cleaner to me.

And do not think the Do is a short range sight only.

I can hit the 500 your 16" gongs at my rifle range with the DO sighted in at 100 yards with my 19" 308.

I would not shoot game that far with it, but they are a great sight.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Would anyone care to upload a picture of their double with the Dr. Optic mounted. What type of mount is used?

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Not my rifle (one Chris had at one time), but this is what it looks like on mine..

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Antlers.

I actually found some pics on the other threads about the Doctors as well.

Does everyone who have used them think they are the way to go?

Anyone with experience with these things have something negative to say?

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I love mine, but haven't used it in the field much yet. Only negative for me is that mine takes a bit to get dialed in, but other than that it's great for my purposes. I use it in low light when I can't make out my sights and I got it to use when trailing bears into the alders. I haven't had that pleasure since getting it, but several trials made me very happy.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Antlers, what exactly do you mean when you say it takes a bit to get dialed in. Are you talking about initial sighting it? Also, is it quick detach and does it return to zero once removed and reinstalled?

Thanks for the info!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Are the Docters easier to change a battery in than a Burris Fastfire II?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Yes; I was referring to original sighting in - the windage and elevation adjustments are very touchy - at least on mine. I have tested repeatability several times and the thing seems to return to zero or very close to zero.

I've been told that when you change the battery, you have to start all over, but I haven't had to change the original battery yet.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my Doctor site in the mail today. Looks well made very light and small. I do have a couple of questions. How does the supplied cover make it go to sleep? This is how the direction term it. Is the power cut off when covered? How long does the battery last. Also I wish they gave the dimensions of the base pin locations and mounting screws.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Doctor Optic sight on several different rifles, 308, 375H&H, 223 AR, and on a buddies M1A.

I have used a bunch of other red dot sights on various guns as well, all the high quality ones are good sights.

But on a hunting gun, the Docter Optic is my favorite.

I have one on my bedside AR as well. I cannot give it a better recomendation than that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
J Zola

If you look at the front of the DO sight, under the lens you will see a "pin hole". This pinhole is the electric eye. It automatically adjusts the brightness of the reddot to the ambient conditions.
This is one of the best features of the DO in that you do not have to adjust the red dot for changing light conditions. The DO automatically and instantly adjust the brightness of the red dot.

The cover covers this electric eye and puts the DO into complete darkness mode, using minimum battery power. The battery on the DO last around 3 to 5 years. It is lithium so it works great in cold weather too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my DO last week. My first use is slated to be on the Baikal 45-70 that came last week as well. Where do you find the base for a "standard 11 mm dovetail/" All I can find are Weaver/picatinney style mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2, Thanks. I really like the sight. I E-mail them for a drawing of the base of the sight but have not gotten a reply.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of different German companies make all kinds of different bases for the DO. I think New England Custom Guns is a dealer for some of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.eaw.de

And look for their Docter Optic Mounts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Got my DO last week. My first use is slated to be on the Baikal 45-70 that came last week as well. Where do you find the base for a "standard 11 mm dovetail/" All I can find are Weaver/picatinney style mounts.

I have used this mount on two Baikals and it is solid as a rock:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/...gh_11mm_Dovetail/636

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. NECG is getting the EAW unit for me, about $75 and a month to get it. That Leapers unit might be useful as well.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Got my DO earlier this week and just dropped everything off at the gunsmith tonight. He's redrilling the Sabatti and the supplied base - 6/48 screws are just too small and won't do a good enough job of holding up under the recoil. He's drilling out to put in 8/40s and then loc tite in. Should be ready next week. Looking forward to shooting it as the front bead on the Sabatti is quite large and this should allow a bit of finer accuracy.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote