THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Paso Rigby R.I.P. article in AHG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paso Rigby R.I.P. article in AHG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Interesting short article re California Rigby in the Fall 2011 issue of African Hunting Gazette, by T. Wieland.

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention because I did not know the company was out of business.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I read the article as well. Wieland has been interwoven with CalRigby including some lawsuits about a gun they "gave" "loaned" "consigned" him or something along those lines.

I don't think they'll be missed in the DR world. I've got to believe the value of the guns out there are going to drop dramatically as a result.

Just my thoughts.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:

I don't think they'll be missed in the DR world. I've got to believe the value of the guns out there are going to drop dramatically as a result.

Just my thoughts.

Agree re "not missed".

Did they have any "real" value anyway ?

After all, they were not much cop for what was being paid for them.

People would have been better off buying a Merkel.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our own Madoff of the gun world. I remember seeing articles by Boddington with Geoff Miller and a double Mr. B hunted with. Quite the scandal in our little corner of the world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the first advert int he Double Gun Journal and a mate and I couldn't believe the bad Wood to Metal fit and even more amazed that they used such a gun to promote the business.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who will have the rights to the Rigby name?

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:

Whoever Trademarked it.

If the business is no longer registered, then whoever registers it
but god knows why you would want to.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

jumping

The only good thing about the Cal Rigby was the fact that it was built on a Merkel action!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, he took Craig's Mother (IIRC) for a little ride in the investment boat. When he tried to depict himself as a winner of the Naval Cross/DSC and was found out the seams began to unravel...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

The only good thing about the Cal Rigby was the fact that it was built on a Merkel action!

That's true. At least they picked on of the better actions to build on
and not some low quality, buy on price piece of crap out of Turkey.

Although when they started turkey might not have been an option.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
yes, he took Craig's Mother (IIRC) for a little ride in the investment boat. When he tried to depict himself as a winner of the Naval Cross/DSC and was found out the seams began to unravel...

I had a friend who was inside the Cal Rigby thing who told me long before anyone esle the Navy Cross thing was bogus! I then looked up on the list of valor and his name didn't apear there! Stolen Valor is a crime, why he hasn't been charged is beyond me!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:

Whoever Trademarked it.

If the business is no longer registered, then whoever registers it
but god knows why you would want to.

Not quite true. The company may be out of business but whoever owned the name still owns it.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon

May be a mis understanding in my post.

I was saying Trademarks and Business Name Registrations are two separate things
and once either have lapsed, then it can re registered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oxon

May be a mis understanding in my post.

I was saying Trademarks and Business Name Registrations are two separate things
and once either have lapsed, then it can re registered.

My apologies - things are a tad different here. In the US, "Rigby" was either a registered trade or service mark (some technical difference and I didn't bother to check which it is).

One cannot register a business using someone else's currently-active trade or service mark. Business registrations are on a state basis and usually only for tax purposes and the owner of the mark can prevent its unauthorized use. If a business goes bankrupt someone still owns the mark.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the few people who actually bought and liked the California Rigby. I paid about $12K for it but traded two guns to Miller to make the deal. Fit was fine, wood was gorgeous and engraving was nice. My gun shot like gangbusters but a 500NE at 12.5 pounds was just too heavy. I saw many of their guns at SCI and never saw one with poor quality or bad fitting. I hope the market becomes depressed for them and I can find one of a proper weight. I would buy it because I know it will shoot.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote