THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My first dance with the Searcy .500
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first dance with the Searcy .500
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I took my new-to-me Searcy .500 NE out today for our first "dance" and I think I'm in love....

This was simply a preliminary function test to see how the recoil and everything else felt. I was not serious about testing accuracy today....but I was still impressed. This was my first time shooting a double EVER in my life, and I will admit I was a little nervous about how it was going to shoot. These four shots were taken off-hand at 25 yards without much time spent aiming. Really just instinctive "line it up and bang" style. I could not be happier. It might not look like much to some of you, but I was thrilled. Next time I go out, I will be bringing my shooting sticks and getting a little more serious about accuracy.

I was shooting Barnes VOR-TX factory ammo with 570 gr. banded solids. I shot a total of 10 rounds and did not find the recoil to be bad at all. In fact, it felt very similar to my .458 Lott....but was more comfortable due to stock design.

(**Note: those black stickers are covering up holes from other rifles, not the .500)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good work.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just have to be minute of buffalo...you're already there!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good you can't see the powder burns on the target. Just kidding better than I can shoot.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That will get 'r done Wade. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

....................... tu2 tu2 beer

You got a winner Wade!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:

Dead Jumbo tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looking good Wade! tu2 I love my Searcy 450-400 and that gun of mine is damn accurate as well! Butch is in the process of building the twin to subsailor's 375 H&H Flanged for me, and I hope to have it sometime in March. You've got a keeper there for sure! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me Wade!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Fair. You fired four shots and there are only four holes on that target! What's going on Cool

Good shooting.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1927 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You can get a tighter group by taking a flat bastard to the irons.

Well done on the purchase and the shooting.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote