Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Owen Double Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted
I have seen a pic of one AR member's Ken Owen .450NE 3-1/4". Also I have read about a .600 DR and a 4-bore DR made by Ken Owen.

I think I read that he makes them himself, and he is here in the U.S.

I googled "Ken Owen double rifles" and couldn't get anything...

Purely as a matter of interest, I would like to know more about him and his double rifles.

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
IIRC, he is located in Nashville and builds just a few very high quality doubles each year. I think Safarikid on here had a huge double that he built, a 4 bore maybe, can't remember exactly, that was engraved with images of dinosaurs. You might PM him if you want more info.

Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nemo.450 the Ken Owen double rifles are well built, and look fine. How they shoot is not something I know, however! What I do know about his rifles are they are very heavy! I looked at a couple of his rifles at the DSC show about five or six years ago, and was impressed till I picked one of them up. The 450NE weighed more than a 577NE should. Thse two rifles were at HUNTER'S HEADQUARTERS booth, and Mims Reed told me he purposely makes his rifles heavy for caliber, so they are easier to regulate, with less muzzle flip. IMO, that doesn't justify a 14 pound 450NE 3 1/4" double rifle.

Someone who posts here has one of his 450NE double rifles and it weighs in at a little over 14 pounds, that is four or five pounds over what a 450NE should weigh. A 450NE double shouldn't weigh more than ten pounds, and nine pounds would be better! His work is flawless, if you can get him to build you one at normal weight it would be a thing to be prowd of!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you for the information.

14#s for a .450NE 3-1/2"!!! Eeker Flawless huh? bewildered

Just kidding. hilbily

Seriously though, about his work... Does he actualy make his own actions? What is the overall style of his guns? How much does he ask for them?

Doesn't really matter, I was just curious about his work.

Thanks again for the info. gents. Smiler

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an M.K. Owen double in 450 x 3 1/4. He is not on the web but I have spoken to him on the phone several times. he is a GREAT guy. I will try to post some (better) pictures. It is a beautiful gun, but is heavy. Having said that, it is VERY comfortable to shoot and accurate as well.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Owen knows his stuff. He used to do all double rifle repairs for Westley Richards that did not need extensive rebuild work.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid's double 4-Bore, the Mastadon, weighed 26.6 lbs. Probably need an optional wheel kit with that one!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Biebs said, plus one.

I was at Big Doggy 700's place in September of 2009 and shot the Mastodon. BD has a gorgeous one as well in 4 bore.

When you pull the trigger, the weight is NOT excessive. It's a life altering experience...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He makes all his own actions etc. and when I spoke to him a few months ago he told me he only makes 4 bore SxS rifles and they are $85,000.00. No other chamberings are currently offered.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Ken is an outstanding craftsman. I understand he has made only two .600 doubles and both are pictured in my book on the .600s. He has done work for me and is not only talented but an honest gentleman. 100% recommendation.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in case anyone is interested, here are some targets that I shot at 50 yards during load development. A couple of the targets have 223 holes in them from when I was zeroing in a scope on one of my 223's.

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Excellent groups! Did you chrono them Peter?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jorge! I will have to check my notes. Remember it does have a Swarovski scope on it.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, let me know. I bet that scope makes life a lot easier when shooting for accuracy.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here area few pictures of my M.K Owen. I realize that a couple of them are out of focus a bit so I will replace them later.

Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
WOW Eeker

Beautifull rifle! tu2

Thanks alot for sharing Peter!

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem Nemo! Glad you asked! Sometimes you get used to handling a gun that you have owned and shot for years, and you forget just how beautiful it is, because the novelty has worn off So, THANK YOU!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I think he is in Moscow,TN which is SE from Memphis. Seems I got his phone number from safarikid once thinking I may stop by on the way to my mothers house.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote