Find
Notify
Tools

John Wilkes Double FS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of David W
posted
Guys, I have posted my double rifle for sale in the Classifieds.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you put into words what has happened "inside your head" that the magic of D/R ownership has faded?

I believe, [no experience have I] that it's safer to hunt dangerous game with a double IF one is very well

practiced with a double. But sometimes "inside my head" I say I wish that that was NOT the conclusion that

I've drawn. Because even though I feel the vintage U.K. built D/R is the pinnacle of sporting arms, part of

me really, REALLY LOVES bolt action rifles! A nice 404 Jeffery, Mauser actioned, bolt rifle would be a great arm

for the safari customer I believe. And if one wants more power, 505 Gibbbs, 500 Jeffery, A-Square, or 510
Wells is all you could ask for! I look forward to your response. popcorn wave

{A guy could save A LOT of money if not for these doubles...}

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I'm not sure that any one thing moved me to sell my double. I have been fortunate enough to hunt elephant and buffalo with bolt guns of various calibers and a .470 double. I think for a PH who has to rely on two quick shots at close range on dangerous game a double is ideal and could literally be a lifesaver. For a client hunter, it boils down to personal preference. There is certainly something special about carrying and using a double in elephant country.

For me, a bolt gun is more practical and the "romance" factor alone is not sufficient to stay in the double business.

David

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Considering the many possibilities on a hunt it would be a tough call deciding which is better, a double or a bolt.

During a close range charge where the first shot didn't stop the animal a double is surely a better choice, but after those two shots you are pretty much up a creek. Despite all the big talk the double is pretty much a two-shot affair.

There are also scenarios where a lot of firepower is needed and then a bolt would be the best choice.

In 99% of hunting DG it really doesn't matter whether a double or bolt is used.

My choice if using a double is to have a bolt or another double that could be grabbed from the gunbearer. Then you have it pretty much covered.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19338 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

You need a 458wm double rifle and a 458wm bolt rifle with four down.

With this plan, the double's ejection and extraction aren't even factors, unless the gun bearer bolts! Eeker Big Grin

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a lot of bolt actions only hold three rounds.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Don't forget a lot of bolt actions only hold three rounds.

THREE rounds, TOTAL?

Perhaps if you mean a T-Rex or .585 Nyati.

Maybe three DOWN and one more chambered

in a 505 Gibbs OR 500 A-Square.

But lots and lots of rifles in calibers based on

the .375 H&H belted hold 4 down and another

in the chamber.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks David W., I get it. wave

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
David....I do too. I have a Heym bolt in 500 Jeff that I can flat shoot. If it recoils more than my 450 NE, I can't tell. Yes, doubles are romantic, but I like my Heym bolt.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
I have a Heym bolt in 500 Jeff that I can flat shoot. / I like my Heym bolt.

How many rounds does it hold TOTAL please?

Jack