Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do 577N.E.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
What would you do if you owned a 577, a new rifle that had to be shipped back to the gun maker to be fixed. In fact been back to the shop a number of times.
Would you trust it to hunt DG?
Can it ever be trusted to work properly?
Dump it and get one that is reliable.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Confidence with a rifle is almost as important as caliber to me. Once you start second guessing a rifle, I think it is toast for dangerous game hunting. You will never get out of your mind the problems with the rifle at what could be a critical juncture. The only way to fix that is either trade the rifle off or once it is back from the shop have it go for a long period of many rounds down range with no problems. I belief shooting is as much a mental exercise as it is a physical one, and questioning your weapon is not what you want be doing or it will show up in the physical performance of the shooter and the rifle.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends what the problem (s) were and of all the same or different one's.

But as per poster above, you have to have absolute confidence in the rifle.

I have a gun that I still use that doubled on me (as in double discharged). Gunsmith, looked at sears, fixed it, gun did it once or twice more - but couldn't be sure it wasn't me this time touching the back trigger. So back to gunsmith, had a look at it, has never done it since and I love it.

So maybe need a bit more info on what the problems were.

I wouldn't trash it out of hand.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
...shooting is as much a mental exercise as it is a physical one...

Excellent point Mike!old

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the PH has your back but your rifle had better dam well have your front ! My feeling is if it did it once it will do it again. Doesn't make the roster cut on my team.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4-5-0:
Well the PH has your back

I always think that is a dangerous assumption to make. Things happen so fast and he could be looking the wrong way just at "that moment".

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If the dealer was a stand up guy, (which most are)he'd take it back and replace it with another one. (Kind'a like a lemon law for cars.)

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
No new rifle should need to go back to the repair shop several times. Sell it back to the maker. That is why I use only vintage doubles in my pursuits. They are well broken in and if they have worked for the past century it is a safe bet they will work tomorrow.
Just my two cents. Be gentle, fellas.
CAL
PS. As to the PHs having one's back, I've felt the past few I've employed would let me get killed and go off happily with my .600 Wilkes, stating to the judge it was my last request the PH take possession of my rifle!!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS. As to the PHs having one's back, I've felt the past few I've employed would let me get killed and go off happily with my .600 Wilkes, stating to the judge it was my last request the PH take possession of my rifle!!

Cal

Then I'll introduce you to someone who had a running joke about getting me killed so he could keep my gun !!!

He's "instigated" a couple of charges
to try to finalize it Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can never be sure that a gun is not going to fail like any other mechanical part can. You get what you pay for is not always the case but most of the time it is. I have had several nice doubles that had to be sent back for repairs for some reason or another. I never felt good about them after I got them back even if completely reworked. I sold them and moved on. Once I lose faith in a gun I get rid of it. If I bought one knowing it had been repaired I'd make sure I got it cheap and the seller would have to give me a good waranty on it. One of the guns I had the barrels separated twice and was sent back to maker for repair. The problem was the way the barrels had been soldered. The maker told me they completely started over with the barrels the second time it went in for repair. I sold it when I got it back to a friend who really wanted it. I sold it for less than I had in it and my friend has never had any problems with the gun since. I had lost faith in the gun and would have nothing further to do with it. I think the best thing to do is buy a gun you feel comfortable in and not be worried about a repaired gun.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Never go into the field with a firearm that you do not trust!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Who is the maker?
A well known maker should be able to fix the rifle properly or offer you a new rifle (if bought new)

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally put at least 200 rounds through any firearm that I am going to take hunting. Usually it is load development and just getting used to the rifle. If I encounter a problem, it has to be addressed and when I get the gun back, I need to run it through it's paces to make sure of it's dependability. If it's not dependable, it doesn't go with me and especially not for DG. Just my .02

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Is this theoretical or real life? popcorn Mike: Is this a double rifle of yours? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not hunt DG with a rifle I do not consider reliable. In fact I will not carry a firearm if I question its reliability. Its your life - what's it worth ?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It is a new rifle. But a friends and not mine. Has had multiple trips to the shop.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a sad story. Doubles are meant for DG, the kind that bites back, or will gore or stomp you to death.

The rifle would have to go back for refund or replacement.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
It is a new rifle. But a friends and not mine. Has had multiple trips to the shop.
Mike

In that case, refund.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Brand new? Or used, but new to him? How long has he owned it? Where does he ship it to for the gun maker to repair it?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The is a new rifle.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
What specifically needed to be fixed on the rifle? If it is related to fire and function, is the shooter using handloads?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Confidence with a rifle is almost as important as caliber to me. Once you start second guessing a rifle, I think it is toast for dangerous game hunting. You will never get out of your mind the problems with the rifle at what could be a critical juncture. The only way to fix that is either trade the rifle off or once it is back from the shop have it go for a long period of many rounds down range with no problems. I belief shooting is as much a mental exercise as it is a physical one, and questioning your weapon is not what you want be doing or it will show up in the physical performance of the shooter and the rifle.

Nicely stated Mike, my convictions also with reference to DG rifle bolt or DR.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I 've wondered about this but in a different context: Many people say they wont hunt with a rented or borrowed rifle, but when buying a used rifle, that's essentially what we are doing. SO the question is, in regards to doubles, at what point do you consider the used double you just bought OK for a dangerous game hunt? Is if after a certain number of rounds or maybe after your specific gunsmith looked it over etc. Just curious where the 'line' is as to whether the rifle is 'ready' to go after DG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my gunsmith has looked it over, serviced it
and i have worked up regulating loads and
done enough practice with it that I am confident
with the gun.

It doesn't take much now for me to be confident
with a new gun if it works as I have found I quickly adapt to different stocks, actions etc.

I saying that, 2 years ago I was handed a bolt action, felt OK'ish, shot one thing with it but
literally turned around and said afterwards, I'd like to go back to XYZ gun that I had used previously.