Find
Notify
Tools

DR Newby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted
I joined the wonderful world of double rifles today and got a Merkel 470NE.

Nothing fancy, just a nice working model.

So expect many many more stupid questions from me in the near future as I find my feet.

How can you ever go back to bolt actions after having shot one of these beauties?

Cheers
H

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the pick up.

Was that the one on the NZ Auction site ?

Anyway, good luck with it and remember, the only Stupid question
is the one you don't ask.

We all started from the point of no knowledge at one time.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
yep, thats the one.
Its been to Africa a few times after buff & ele and I hope to get more details on its short history in the next few weeks.

And I plan on taking it back for more as often as I can :-)

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Those Merkles are wonderful rifles. You are going to be very happy with it. Now the problem. You are not going to stop with just one dancing

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HendrikNZ:
I joined the wonderful world of double rifles today and got a Merkel 470NE.

Nothing fancy, just a nice working model.

So expect many many more stupid questions from me in the near future as I find my feet.

How can you ever go back to bolt actions after having shot one of these beauties?

Cheers
H

Congratulations HindrikNZ! beer

I have one exactly like that one, and It is one of two Merkel Double rifles I own. the 470NE 140-2 Safari will place two rounds side by side at 50 yds every time, and the other merkel is a 140E, 9.3X74R and it will place four shots in a slightly egg shaped composit group 2" wade, and 1" high with shots equal distance on each side of the aiming point with the left barre's shots on the left, anf the right barrel's shots on the right side of the aiming point, at 100 yds.

You haven't asked and may already know this but there may be some who are new to double rifle and are not aware of the fact that there is a proper way to rest a double rifle from a bench.

First the rifle must not touch anything but your hands, shoulder and face while shooting. The side by side double rifle was designed to be fired off hand, and from a cool barrel set, right trigger first, left trigger second.

The rifle depends on un hendered recoil arch to shoot to it's regulation, so must be shot as if off hand. You can rest the fore "HAND" on a sand bag but not the rifle, the fore hand must hold onto the rifle, and the butt should not be rested on a bag either.

The double rifle reoils differently when each barrel is fired. when the right barrel is fired the rifle recoils back,up and to the right. The opposite for the left barrel, it recoils back, up and left. If the rifle is rested on a sand bag with out your fore hand holding the rifle it will recoil too freely, and not shoot properly. With the cost of 470NE ammo, one wants to waste as few rounds as is possible with the working up a proper load, or checking the sight alignment.

As I said above the rifle is a hunting rifle, and isdesigned to be frien from cool barrels, like you would when hunting, a snap shot with the right barrel, followed closely after the other barrel! This is the way you should shoot the rifle from the bench, then once found, the regulating loads your practice should be what we call in the USA "STUMP SHOOTING" while walking through the bush takeing shot at rocks, stumps, and what ever catches your eye at different ranges, while working on your reloading speed.

Welcome to the world wide DRSS community!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! She looks good from here!
Welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H...I have or have owned 7 DR's and the Merkel 470 I had...just like yours, was the most accurate of any I have shot. With Woodies or North Forks, behind the appropriate charge of RL15 and a filler, it would take out the 3" red dot on my targets at 60 yds with 8 shots. Those Merkels are solid tools that will give you faithful service. Work yourself up a good load or two and have fun.
By the way....none of your questions will be stupid...DR's are a game all to themselves. Now some of your ANSWERS on the other hand....

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several Merkel Double Rifles over the years, 500's, 470,s & 9,3x74R's.

All of them shot accurate and regulated well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
HindrikNZ
Congrats on your first double I know whata great feeling that is.

NE450#2
I'm feeling left out. you forgot to mention my Merkel 8x57.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
HindrikNZ
Congrats on your first double I know whata great feeling that is.

NE450#2
I'm feeling left out. you forgot to mention my Merkel 8x57.

OOPS sorry forgot. It is a sweet double as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote