New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers and Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please post your loads for my caliber 450/400 3&1/4 NE.

Please name the powder[s] you use and bullet.

A Square book shows CCI-250 Primer

Graeme Wright book shows Federal 215

Which do I seek out? THANKS MUCH!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
As far as primers go, I'd use only F215's on hunting loads.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why ?
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Jack,

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Federal 215 or 215 M in all my NE loads with RL-15. The article by Ross Seyfried, "Reloading the Nitro Express" he uses the Federal 215. I tried some loads for my 404 Jeffery using Federal 210s and experience two hang fires.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Can I ask why ?
quote:
Jack,

There is not a primer on the market hotter than a F-215 (except F-216's which we cannot buy from Federal). If you want proper ignition on Nitro loads it's a F-215. When comparing large and small rifle primers there is no advantage of a Federal primer (210 or 205) over Winchester, CCI, or Remington.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks men. thumb

Still hoping for some of you to post loading info, I've misplaced what I had... homer

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fed 215 is the standard primer for magnum loads but unfortunately, due to the war and other factors they are virtually impossible to find.

According to Art Alphin the common belief that the Fed 215 is the hottest primer on the market is no longer true. According to him the CCI-250 and the Fed 215 are virtually identical in brisance and are interchangeable for most cartridges (Any Shot You Want, page 151). I have used both and am happy with either one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark,
What double cartridges have you loaded with the 250's?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Dark,
What double cartridges have you loaded with the 250's?

.470 NE with both. I haven't noticed much difference. Both chrono very close with equivalent charges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full power loads? Have you used the 250's with 5744?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Full power loads? Have you used the 250's with 5744?

Full power loads, yes. Sorry, have never used AA5744 in .470 NE, only IMR-4831 and RL-15 but I don't like RL-15 because I try to stay away from fillers so all my loading now is with IMR-4831.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.eulessgunsandammo.com I'm told has Fed 215s in stock,
and other primers and reloading components too.

I acquired 1000 Fed 215s and 1000 CCI 200s, (for the 500 S&W)
yesterday from a guy who was getting out of reloading. I got the
last of his 215s. I feel relieved. If I can get 1000 215s once every
3 or 4 months I'll be content. I expect I'll be able to do so. Smiler

I found load info from 450 No2 N E and in G Wright's book so I am
good all around.

Jack

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Dirk,
when I started reloading for my first 470,I did not know that the Fed's were hotter,I had always used CCI's in all my other guns and just kept on using the same brand for the nitro rounds,I have'nt tried anything else so far,I have never had a problem with my loads.I guess I will try the feds once they are available and see if anything changes.
quote:
quote:
Can I ask why ?
quote:
Jack,

There is not a primer on the market hotter than a F-215 (except F-216's which we cannot buy from Federal). If you want proper ignition on Nitro loads it's a F-215. When comparing large and small rifle primers there is no advantage of a Federal primer (210 or 205) over Winchester, CCI, or Remington.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dirk,
when I started reloading for my first 470,I did not know that the Fed's were hotter,I had always used CCI's in all my other guns and just kept on using the same brand for the nitro rounds,I have'nt tried anything else so far,I have never had a problem with my loads.I guess I will try the feds once they are available and see if anything changes.

Bill, Why mess with success? If it aint broke don't fix it...

Jack