New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally I got my 470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally I got my 470NE from Merkel (160AE)

After I could remove the autumatic safty (which I have not ordered). I was shooting now. I am still testing loads.

The laods from the books are all more or less the same. And the original Ammo (Norma FMJ), shoot all about the same. First two shots approx 30cm (at 100m) from each other, second pair at about 15cm and the thrid is usually the best below 10cm and in the center. As it looks the rifle shoots better when it is not totally cold. When I make just short break after six shots (barrels still warm) the next four shots are in the center.

http://www.side-by-side-match....ed/wp0d6cf965_0f.jpg
http://www.side-by-side-match....ed/wp9d5b927a_0f.jpg
http://www.side-by-side-match....ed/wp6c61f898_0f.jpg

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that may be the finest looking Merkel I have seen. Very nice.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet double! Congratulations!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world og big bore shooting. It's addicting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like Mike I think that is the nicest Merkel double rifle I've seen!
.............................................................Congratulations beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nice in anyone's book. No reason for qualification.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think the reason it looks as nice as it does is: Wait for it: NO CARTOON ANIMALS!!! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Who is holding the DR? Is your DG sling one from Trader Keiths? What about your ammo belt? Where from? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful Merkel, a a very rare sidelock with the scroll engraving. It also appears to have removable locks which I have never seen on a Merkel DR, although I have on the sidelock shotguns.

How did you find this rifle? Was it a special order?

Thanks, Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle, and the person holding it over her shoulder is, as well. Only the first two shots count, as the buff will not give you a chance to warm up your rifle; 30 cm is 11.8 inches apart at 100 yards, but you probably won't be shooting that far anyway; and at 50 yards is half that; possibly a lot less. If not, I would work with some loads a bit.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed, B, especially with the hand-detachable locks.

Find the variation in where the barrels print from shot-to-shot very unusual. Believe that as you practice and work with the rifle, you'll find your first shots will be in that 4-inch (10 cm) composite group, too. If not, then dpcd is right and working with loads would be the thing to do.

What did the Merkel target that accompanied the rifle show?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree a beauty!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at enough gun

The ammo belt I winned in a match, it is from Spain and originally for 20ga but just perfect for 470NE. The sling is from Germany standard production.

at mdsteward

The Merkel DR 160AE is standard like that, at time they put detachable side looks on. The recoil pad I replaced against a a fentilated one, the original which is on the upper side hard is very unconfortable to shoot.

I bought the rifle in Germany (this rifle is a stadard 160AE from 2011 and 2012 production), usually the importing company makes the specifications, so they choose the quality of the wood, fixed or detachable side looks etc. (double or single trigger). At the end it is nearly not possible to look only at the model and its price. Some countries go for bad wood and more engraving or what ever combinations you can think of. The serie of the 160 types are not that large that there is a real standard.

at dpcd

As it looks like the rifle shoots to the same place only when it is not totaly cold. So I think I have to make some reloads that works also in cold condition. All the different powders I already tested get nearly the same results. So I think it will take a bit time until I find the realy good load. It also looks strange to me because most rilfe shoot good first and as longer and hotter they get, the more the goups opens up. But I have not yet tried to make 10shots one after the next. In Davos three persons shoot with the rifle, one after the next one. Due to marking the shoots the rifle kept its temparature (could neither cold down nor over heat) and shoot good.

As it looks now to me the companies who make the rifles does not let cool the rifles totally down while zeroing/assebling. Also my 9,3 shoot best between 4th to 14th shot. But there I find a load for the 1st four shoots now. But that load came not even close to the one which was used to zero the rifle. But I think I will find such a load for the 470 as well

The rifle was zeroed using Norma FMJ ammo, it tried new lot and an old one. Does not really make big difference.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. this calls for some thinking; I don't suppose you could drive over to Merkel and have them check it out for regulation on the first two shots? It's only 300 miles from Zurich. I hope they didn't heat it up and make it shoot to regulation that way. DRs aren't match rifles, which often/usually shoot better warm. Good Luck.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote