THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Changing the Opening Angle on the Krieghoff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing the Opening Angle on the Krieghoff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Sorry for the delay. I wanted to see what the deal was firsthand!

Two things, one here, the other in another post.

Opening angle:

If you take the fore-end off the rifle you will see a round steel pin that runs across the cut in the metal butt on the back of the fore-end (the part that rides on the front of the receiver).

When I sent my K back to PA when Norbert was still there, what they did to increase the opening was file away part of the pin through the back of the fore-end. They filed a flat spot on the bottom of the pin so that cocking of the hammers is delayed a bit and hence the action opens a bit more.

This pin is used to push down on the lever that sticks out the front of the receiver, which cocks the hammers.

BUT if this flat is filed too deeply to try to increase the opening still further it will not push that lever down far enough to cock the hammers. I had a gunsmith do that the other day to test it and indeed we went too far. A new pin had to be installed.

The fore-end stops the barrels from opening any further. The only solution would be to place the pin up further in the fore-end and remove material from the fore-end butt but this is not suggested as it would most likely void any warranty.

If I was going to keep the rifle, I would modify it so it would open further but since I am selling it, I wouldn't want to put off any new owner by having a "modified" rifle.

Filing a bit off the pin does increase the opening angle a bit anyway. It all helps in my opinion. I'd have a smith do the work though so if it goes too far a new pin can be installed.

Hope this helps, a bit anyway.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm! I will have to take a look at mine and see if that is what they did.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote