THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450/400 barrel set on a Krieghoff classic standard caliber?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 barrel set on a Krieghoff classic standard caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a Krieghoff Classic double rifle, 9.3x74R. Haven't used it for hunting yet, but shot it at the range a couple of times. Seems like a great rifle! I have a small Leupold scope on it, but also shoot it with the iron sights. The recoil was surprisingly tolerable, as I haven't shot anything greater than 30-06.

I believe the 9.3x74R calibre is great for hunting in Norway where I live (red deer, moose), but also for boar hunting in continental Europe, and plains game in Africa. However, I would like to try big game / dangerous game hunting in Africa some day, especially buffalo hunting seems great... probably not within the first year or two, but as a long term plan at least. Therefore I looked into the possibility to get a second barrel set for my Krieghoff rifle, perhaps in 450/400, or 500/416 Rigby. This is possible, but the rifle will then by lighter than the "big five" version of the Krieghoff Classic. I believe the "big five" stock is 0.4 kg (0.9 lbs) heavier than the "standard calibre" stock.

My rifle is now 3.7 kg (8.2 lbs), which I think is great. With a 450/400 or a 500/416 barrel set it would be roughly 4.2 kg (9.3 lbs).

* Do you think this is too light for this calibre?

I believe the balance of my rifle now is great. Putting a heavier barrel set on, the balance would shift towards the muzzle, of course. Doing a crude calculation, the centre of gravity would be roughly 3 cm shifted towards the muzzle.

* Do you think the balance of the rifle would be very strange / wrong in this configuration?

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not do it. Balance will not be tuned. Expensive project. For buffalo 9,3x74 is legal some places, and few will make a fuss of it where it is not legal from what i have heard. Buy a 470, some on finn.no for around 40.000 kr..

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Before the internet, the 9.3x74r was killing everything in Africa AND people were not getting stomped to death.

Load'er up with TSX's and be off killing whatever you want.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, I have both rifles, and as you know, all K frames are the same so they can install a set of 450-400s on your 9.3 frame, BUT, the factory has to do it as it has to be re-proofed. If you go from a big caliber to small, then (here), K International has barrels in stock that they slap on your frame and away you go. (I called them last week on that). AND, as you already know, the standard stock is a bit lighter and smaller. So, yes it will work, but your butt will be lighter, which can be fixed with a few ounces of lead shot in the butt stock hole. And the recoil pad is smaller too. Another problem is that a set of barrels is almost as much as another rifle, which is why I decided not to get another set. The 450-400 doesn't kick much anyway.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend you get a second rifle in 450/400, that is a great calibre.

However I can say that the 9,3x74R is one of my most favorite calibres. I have taken a lot of different game with it including most of my plainsgame in Africa.

And while I consider it a little light for the job, with the 9,3 I have taken cape buffalo and elephant with it, one shot for each. The elephant was brain shot at 5 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
By BrownMax

My rifle is now 3.7 kg (8.2 lbs), which I think is great. With a 450/400 or a 500/416 barrel set it would be roughly 4.2 kg (9.3 lbs).

* Do you think this is too light for this calibre?

9.3 pounds is perfect for a 450/400 NE 3inch double rifle! If it is cost effective,Go for it!
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. Perhaps I will delay this decision a while... Good point that the cost of a barrel set is almost the same as a new rifle. I'm not very keen om adding weight in the butt stock, since the 9.3x74R is what I will use most, and deer hunting in western Norway is in very rough terrain.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it will balance but I think the 9LB weight would be spot on. The ONLY reason I sold my 450/400 was because it was too heavy at 10lb 2oz.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd vote that the two calibers are too close to one
another to be the best way to go. You're likely reg-
ulated for a 9.3, 286 grain bullet IIRC. A .41 cal
bullet at .280 sectional density, (proven by Mike/
Sam to be all one needs with modern driving band
bullets such as CEB Non-Cons and Flat Tip Solids
even for elephant) is about 330 grain. Why not go
at least to .458 bullet and .280 sec. den. weight
will be about 410 grains. Faster MV, flatter tra-
jectory and still get 5000 FPE at the muzzle. Want
470 NE? Sec. den of .280 means a 440 grain bullet.

I just think you're better served going up higher
than .41 caliber since you have a 9.3 (.366") already.
To gain only about 45 grains of bullet weight at
the cost of so many thousands is NOT worth it to
me, especially in the mid .3 thru high .4 calibers
and higher. Even if you're in the .243 - .284 range
it's no huge difference.

Now gaining 125 grains of bullet weight or greater
means something to the animal being hit, I'm sure... Smiler

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my humble opinion, but if I were adding a second barrel, or buying a second rifle, it would be a 450 3 1/4". I have eyeballed Cape Buffalo and Elephant at fairly close range holding my 450 Dakota CZ. 500gr bullet at 2200fps in a double would be very comforting...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I agree but Krieghoff don't make a 450. I would have already had one by now if they did. Second rifle; yes definitely.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I agree but Krieghoff don't make a 450. I would have already had one by now if they did. Second rifle; yes definitely.

So go with 470 NE or 500 NE. wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I will go for a 470 on a later stage... I have seen several used Krieghoff's in 470 at roughly 7000 $.

Concerning weight, the Krieghoff Big Five in 450/400 is almost as heavy as the 470, well above 10 lbs. That's why I thought a 450/400 barrel set on my slimmer classic frame could be a good idea, reaching just above 9 lbs.

Does anyone know who makes DR's in 450/400 NE, in the range 9 - 9.5 lbs?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Try Chapuis.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Krieg 470 is not actually lighter than the 450-400. It is a hog, but has no recoil. My 450-400 weighs 10.6 pounds, without scope. The small stock might go a pound lighter. Again, when I called Krieghoff, they wanted $9500 for a new set of barrels. Not worth it to me.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I ahree with D R Hunter, the 450-400 is just to close to your 9.3 to be worth the effort/expense. Enjoy what you have and if Buff/Ele is in the distant future then just watch for a great deal on a 450, 470 or even better a .500 to go with your current rifle. With those 2 rifles you are ready for anything, anywhere!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
I ahree with D R Hunter, the 450-400 is just to close to your 9.3 to be worth the effort/expense. ..watch for a great deal on a 450, 470 or even better a .500 to go with your current rifle. With those 2 rifles you are ready for anything, anywhere!

Thanks for the endorsement! wave

D/R Hunter