Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
I was luck enough to draw a Utah limited entry elk for one of the areas in Northern Utah and am thinking really hard about shooting it with a 470 or 45-70 double rifle. There is a fresh water with a blind that would allow for shots in the 40 yard range.

I have no problems shooting the 470 but worry that with 'full house' loads there will be too much muzzle rise while shooting from a kneeling or sitting position may hinder a follow shot. Then comes the possibility of using 325 grain CEB bullets. My only concern is that I shoot 325 grain bullets in my 45-70 and don't have to worry about the excessive muzzle rise.

So do I man up and use full house 470 loads, reduced 470 loads, or the 45-70?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Muzzle rise has been greatly stretched over the years. Such as Elmer and Boddington shooting a .600 or .700 and the muzzles pointing skyward.

Your .470 should see the muzzles rise 4-5 inches (my .600, about 8 inches). If muzzle rise was a concern you'd read of PHs for the last 100 years voicing it. The reason they have not, is because it is a moot point. You have nothing to worry about.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have shot plenty of pigs over corn while sitting in a blind with my 470,I used 400 GR bullets,using the 75% rule,I loaded them to regulation velocity,if I was shooting Elk about 40 yards? I would probably just use a woodleigh soft 500 grs hand loaded,if your 470 is of the proper weight & fit,muzzle rise is a non issue,but if your rifle is light for caliber? Than it might cost you time to get back on target,however a first good shot from a 470 should put the lights out anyways & you might not need a quick second shot.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The rifle is normal rate. I'll load up some soft and hit the range ro see how it goes.

Cool

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
With a 470NE a 500 gr solid will flatten any elk that ever lived with one shot to the shoulder,lung heart area. I regularly shoot game from 300 pound wild hogs to 2000 pound Eland with 470NE using 500 gr solid Federal factory ammo, and it kills like the hammer of Thor! An elk at 40 yds doesn't stand a chance against your 470NE double.

................................................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOt to worry at 40 yards you wont need a follow up shot, and you will have a real good blood trail, and probably a short one..Ive seen big bull elk go a long ways shot with hot handloaded 45-70s..

Muzzle rise is not a problem, I have shot two fast shots on buffalo and they were less than 4 inches apart at the most, usually about 2 inches.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
NOt to worry at 40 yards you wont need a follow up shot, and you will have a real good blood trail, and probably a short one..Ive seen big bull elk go a long ways shot with hot handloaded 45-70s..

Muzzle rise is not a problem, I have shot two fast shots on buffalo and they were less than 4 inches apart at the most, usually about 2 inches.

I agree muzzle rise is no more of a problem with a double than with a single barreled rifle. The DOUBLE TAP is the perview of the double rifle. I often take two fast running Wild hogs with a double tap with my doubles. In fact the one two shots with a bolt rifle are very slow and often a miss with the second shot, more so than with a double rifle.
................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Well I went out and shot the 470 to see how bad the muzzle rise was. I held tight and didn't think that it was too bad. I was a little worried because it was the first time that I've shot a big bore since I got a pacemaker but all seemed well. I need to bring the group up a bit but overall I'm happy with how it shoots.