THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What were the issues with the rifles needed sending back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What were the issues with the rifles needed sending back?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If the rifle had more than one issue choose the most important one.

Question:
Which had a regulation issue?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which had a wood issue?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which had the firing pin or pins scratching the primers?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which fired when you closed the action?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which had a point of impact that was way off?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which fired both barrels when you pulled only one trigger?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Question:
Which just came apart?

Choices:
Verney Caron
Chapuis
Merckel
Searcy
Sabatti
none

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you answering for your Searcy?

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Start over on this one...

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It`s OK now.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a reason to vote because I have never had to send a new double rifle back for any reason. I have had a few old ones re-jointed to tighten the fit in rifles that were 80 to 110 years old. The only one I've owned with regulation issues is a Winchester Grand European But I bought it used from a member who used to post here. That one is going to Aaron Little soon for a re-regulation. However that make was not listed in this poll!

..................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It`s OK now.

Just came apart would be a correct response.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid we won't get very objective info out of this, posted this in the other thread,

"What you're going to see is the most affordable doubles disproportionately represented, as far more people own them. This poll is quite unfortunately not useful and won't be accurate. The worst quality control issues with a double I've encountered was a new Heym that had issues out of the box. By and large they're viewed to be one of the best affordable doubles. Then with Searcy, they're both very affordable and his lifetime, unconditional support will lend his rifles to returning for extremely minor considerations and unfairly skew it. I've also had to fix a Holland & Holland Royal.

I believe you'll find similar rates of work required from Merkel through Holland & Holland. The poll will not show that however as how many here own Merkels, compared to Hollands?"

I'll take my Merkel to Africa, and have, and I take it guiding brown / grizzly hunts on the North Pacific coast, and I do. So it's been exposed to sand, salt, rain, you name it. My Holland & Holland Royal gets used in sunny locations, is always protected and carried with appreciation. Little biased and unfair when you consider there are a thousand Merkels sold for every Royal, and considering how those rifles are used too, no? Which do you think had the hang up, my babied and cased barely used H&H Royal or my hard worked Merkel? The H&H, extremely minor issue, but nonetheless shows how misleading this poll and discussion will be.

Kalahari sand in the Merkel's chambers chasing Lion, unavoidable,

Guiding bear on the north coast,

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I learn more about the forum I'm catching up that shootaway may hold one of the nicest rifles here...

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway re-regulates his doubles himself, iirc...

The Searcy, is that the one that Cabela's hot blued?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
As I learn more about the forum I'm catching up that shootaway may hold one of the nicest rifles here...

Not just here on AR, but the best double rifle in the world!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't argue with him. Smiler
Time to go get a Margarita

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The best Margarita in the world. Smiler

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I best remember my place and make it to that shoot in the spring to say hello and haul some doubles.

An impressive amount of experience here, used to having at least respectable experience on the boards I've frequented in the past. AR changes the dynamics of things substantially.

Now... I'm catching up and think I may have heard shootaway's real name before.