Find
Notify
Tools

MERKEL EXTRACTORS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted
I have noticed that most Merkel Double Rifle's have extractors instead of ejectors. Should this be considered a positive, or negative, with regards to hunting Dangerous Game? I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Cape Buffalo with mine and never thought it was a problem...in fact I prefer the extractors...but depends on what you like or get use too...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
IMO, any advantages of one over the other are theoretical. It’s really a matter of personal preference.

Do a search for extractors ejectors and you’ll find more in the way of a debate than you could possibly want to read.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I did the search option, and as you mentioned, there is a plethora of information. I am about to take the plunge and purchase a Double, with which I truly do not need, but for some reason, I truly must have.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAU MAU:

I did just the same thing last year...shoot my first DR last January and bought one in March...nothing like a big bore DR!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Kreighoff Big Five rifles don't have ejectors either.

The Merkel shotguns of similar design have ejectors so I wonder if some of the shotgun parts could convert a Merkel to an ejector?

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 ejector doubles a 9,3x74R, and a 450/400.
My 450 No2 is an extractor rifle.
It really does not make any difference to me.

I would not buy a double rifle just because it was an extractor gun.

I switch between the two types on the same hunt with no concerns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am about to take the plunge and purchase a Double, with which I truly do not need, but for some reason, I truly must have.

Welcome to the club. Same here. Now I need another one. Damn this gets expensive!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAU MAU:
I have noticed that most Merkel Double Rifle's have extractors instead of ejectors. Should this be considered a positive, or negative, with regards to hunting Dangerous Game? I thank you in advance for your assistance.

MAU MAU, most Merkel double rifles have ejectors, up to 9.3X74R! The SAFARI rifles chambered for 375 H&H, 416 Rigby,470NE, and 500NE are extractor only. This is fine with me anyway, as in DGR doubles I normally disconect the ejectors, and if equipt, auto safeties!

I have a 9.3X74R Merkel that shoots the cases 20 feet when ejected from the chambers, and it also has an auto-safety, which I will disable (the auto safety)as well. I can live with the ejectors, on a medium, but not on a DGR.

I try to buy an ejector if i find two, one with, and one without. This is because when it comes time to sell, the ejector rifle is easier to sell. I simply disconnect them, and replace the parts when I get ready to sell. Wink

The preference for, or against ejectors is a personal thing, that some simply will not sway one way or the other. I can live with them either way. Two things I will not live with, however, on a double I use for Dangerous game are an AUTO SAFETY,and a SINGLE TRIGGER. Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Kreighoff Big Five rifles don't have ejectors either.

The Merkel shotguns of similar design have ejectors so I wonder if some of the shotgun parts could convert a Merkel to an ejector?

Kyler

Kyler, I'm sure the doubles could be converted to ejectors, with some of the shotgun parts. The fitting of the ejector cocking system, and ejector hammers would have to be fitted in and on the foreend hanger. This would require some milling of already hardened parts, in some cases. I'm not sure the cost could be justified when one can pay a little more, and have these things already installed at the factory, of another brand. This might be a chance for some one to start a small buisness of up-grading the Merkel 140-2 Safaris. This might include fitting of custom sights, and ejectors as a package, for a set price! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote