THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another Chapuis question ......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Chapuis question ......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of you that own a Chapuis double rifle have a set of matching shotgun barrels to go with it? If so have you used them much and how do you like them?

Talking to Dale it looks like about a $1400 to $1500 option and it sounds like a good idea.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I was looking at that recently. There are a lot of "moving parts" on the shotgun barrel upgrade. Length, ribbed or not, etc. By the time I finished with the wish list, the cost was closer to $2000+.

Then I started thinking about a SxS shotgun I could buy for that money or a little more. At this point I'm not sure which way to go.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I certainly wish there was one in my future, but at this time it is not to be.

Does the barrel set come with screw in choke(s)? Would be my choice Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim....as I understand it Chapuis makes 3 "grades" of 20ga barrels. The standard model is about $1400 and is basically a plain-jane set of barrels with a raised rib....price goes up to about $2000 for one with screw-in chokes. Standard length is about 27 1/2" and then you pay a premium for either 29 3/4" of 31 1/2" barrels.

If I opt for the extra shotgun barrels I suspect I will go with the plain set with the 27 1/2" barrels and then have Briley install their screw in chokes.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I popped for the shotgun barrels in the first group buy; just waiting for it all to arrive.

I got the fixed IC/mod chokes

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Anybody have an idea of what it weighs with the shotgun barrels? Anything over about 6 lbs would be getting heavy for a 20 bore.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure but I would guess, depending on the length of the barrels, it would be at least 1.5 pounds less than the rifle.

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis in 9,3x74R with 20 gauge bbls. They have a nice rib and are chambered in 3".

I usually can't hit the broad side of a bull's butt in the air. With the Chapuis I have simply been deadly on quail, chukkar, and pheasant. It is a wonderful combination. I don't know what the chokes are bored to, but it seems to have better range with field loads than my 12 gauge Browning Citori with Mod and Full field chokes.

Wish mine had screw-in chokes and was certified for steel shot!

It is a GREAT combination!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Will You that I ask Mrs Chapuis? They are very kind people but a tad shy.

I have 2 Chapuis doubles and no shotgun barrel but I crave to get some. If I can help
jb

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mike, what does your Chapius weigh with the shotgun barrels? As for you shooting it better than your other shotguns, that is real simple, it fits you.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought a setof shotty gun barrels for my beretta as an aftermarket thing and paid over 2000 by the time it was over. They are handy to have. thing of africa & the bird shooting - couple of boxes os shotty shells and fun is to be had. also used them to take the small night cats with #4 buck, although that wasn't the greatest thing. had to shoot them a bunch.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for 2 grand you can buy a nice --complete-- 20 ga shotgun , not just a barrel set.

a used browning s x s can be had for less also

then you'd have 2 guns

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
for 2 grand you can buy a nice --complete-- 20 ga shotgun , not just a barrel set.

a used browning s x s can be had for less also

then you'd have 2 guns

I just bought one of the Merkel 9.3x74's that KEBCO had for sale. I bought one of the used ones on the 20gauge frame. It comes with a set of 20 gauge barrels and also a Kahles 1.1-4x Illuminated recticle scope in QD rings.

I liked the idea of having the shotgun barrels for practice more than anything. I plan on using the shotgun barrels for some quail and chukar hunting in our local desert where the action can be fast and furious. I figure bird hunting will help me get familiar with the gun AND the double triggers.

I currently hunt with two different Browning BSS's (one in 12 guage and one in 20 gauge), but they have Single Selective Triggers.

I didn't think this was a big deal until I borrowed a double trigger shotgun on a hunt in England. I was shooting the gun really well and used both triggers with ease. HOWEVER, when it came time for a VERY quick 2nd shot, I kept pulling on the first trigger. I basically fell back on my training and what I was used to doing, pulling one trigger twice.

What really gave me worry was watching Buzz's elephant hunting video and hearing him say that he has had many clients do the same thing (continue to pull on the first trigger) which resulted in a late or missed 2nd shot.

Unless you shoot double triggers all the time, the chances of this happening is quite real. It is much different to shoot your double rifle at the range, or think ahead of time that you will pull both triggers. But when you need to make a snap shot, or have an ele, buff, lion, leopard, etc. bearing down on you, you may fall back on your reflex and training, to continue pulling the same trigger.

Anyway, this is a long way to say that I think it is very important to get signifcant trigger time behind your double rifle in situations where you need to pull both trigger in quick succession. Practicing with shotgun barrels is one of the best ways I can think of to get some practice at this.

I plan on doing some skeet shooting, sporting clays, and hunting wild quail and chukar in order to get me used to quickly getting on that 2nd trigger.

Hopefully, this practice will pay off when it comes to my 2007 hunt in Zim.

YMMV

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogkiller,

My Chapuis weighs almost exactly 7 pounds with 20 ga bbls. It has a European cheekpiece and so may weigh just a little more than most.

As far as fit, it is typical Chapuis ... feels just a little long to me, but moves well. I think it is more the view over two barrels than it is the fit. Also think the patterning has something significant to do with my successful use of the shotgun.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a set of 20ga bbls for my Chapuis.

The advantage of a set of SGN bbls is that you only have to carry the bbls, not a whole gun.

Much easier, especially with the new baggage restrictions.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote