THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bring the 9.3 Chapuis out west for Mule deer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bring the 9.3 Chapuis out west for Mule deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was lucky enough to draw unit 2b in New Mexico in early Nov and I'm thinking about bringing the Chapuis but I'm afraid it might not be ideal for some longer range shots.

My other options are a Sauer 202 in .270 Win and a Sauer 202 in 300 Wby.

Thoughts?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring the Chapuis if you like, but I would definitely also bring one of the Sauers. My longest shot on mule deer was 475 yards, and that is not ideal for a double rifle. However, the terrain and hunting style you get into may permit use of a double, so best to have it along.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24,

This is the classic opportunity to prove the flexiblity of the medium double.

You MUST bring the 9.3 and it MUST be scoped.

Just to be safe, I'd bring the 270 also. Good Luck!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try it! Smiler I'll try to "blood" my new 9,3X74R Chapuis UGEX with a 2.5X8 VXIII on Nevada mule deer the first week of the season. If it proves a handicap, I'll go to the 300 H&H.

I've taken deer with my Tikka 512S 12/9,3 and with an early set of Tikka 9,3 DR barrels. Having many fine bolt rifle choices, Most of my deer have been taken with a drilling in 8X57JR with 4X Hensoldt. It lobbs them about like a 9,3X74R does. It adds to the feeling of success, IMO. The long-shooters are still there, if needed.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24,
Go for it!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Geoff, see my reply in the other thread about NM draw results. In short - just do it.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not be contrarian, but I think the key to hunting anything is chosing the appropriate tool to the task. To me, a double rifle in 9.3x74R is not the right tool for Western mule deer, your Sauer .300 Wby is.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Mike, not to be contrary to your contrarianism Big Grin, since I kind of understand where you're coming from, but a hunt should also be fun. If using the double makes it more "fun," then it seems reasonable to me. I hunted muleys in Geoff's unit with a bow for many years in high school and college and had some measure of success. Surely his double is more "appropriate" than a bow. If he can shoot it accurately to 250 yards, he'll be capable of shooting farther than every shot but one that my family has taken while hunting deer and elk in that unit for 25 years. And that one shot could have been shortened had we been so inclined. Of course, airlines allow two guns per case, so take them both and use what feels right when you get there. thumb

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One time I hunted antelope with the .500 NE. Eventually I had to go back to the truck for the 6.5.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the 9.3! If you cannot get a decent group at 250 yds with both barrels, set the scope up for the right barrel only and then you have a 300 + yd rifle (albeit a glorified single shot with scope) BUT HOW COOL IT WOULD BE TO BAG THE BUCK WITH THE 9.3

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would much prefer something in stalking rifle category chambered in 6,5 to 7mm range. The 9,3 is good for driven game or "black forest" (read deep murky forest) stalking, but that's about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24,

Take the double if you are willing to live with its limitations. You are good way over bow/muzzle loader ranges and it would be sweet to take a mulie with the double. If you're okay with passing on longer shots more power to you!

I like shooting big bores, and I really want to take a mulie/elk with my Lott. To this date I have relied on my 338 Lapua (overgunned it may be) for this task but it is so nice to have a rifle that will work with the longer shot.

That being said, there is great merit in trying to get closer and take game with an "unusual" rifle that you will remember all your hunting life. I think that soon I will take my Lott hunting for mulies/elk and will enjoy the memories.

The "perfect" rifle for western mulies is probably the 7 and 300 mags with a 3-10 or 4-14 scope. Go on your hunt with the double and enjoy the experience. I love to shoot ground squirrels but I love to HUNT mulies/elk. IMO the hunt is about the planning, tactics, comradarie, etc and does not totally revolve around the kill.

Hunt with what you want and have a great experince doing it Big Grin

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your 9,3 Chapuis is scoped, shoot it at 200 and 300 yards to see how it hits. I have taken a Kudu at a little over 300 yards and a coyote at 271 with my Chapuis.

Both were witnessed and filmed.

Just like using any other rifle you need to test it at the distance you will be shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is wearing a 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest. I'm going to get lost of practice in the next few months up to the hunt. I just didn't want to waste training time on a poor choice.

I'm going to bring my 202 300 wby and the Chapuis and get a feel for the terrain.

I shoot both rifles very well but I feel more confident with the 300wby on the longer stuff but I really don't want to be shooting past 200 yards.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would be a reasonable "group" for say 3 shots from the same barrel of a 9.3x74R double rifle at 200 yards? Bear in mind that these generally have lower powered scopes than bolt actions. Any personal experiences?
How about both barrels?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote