THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .375 H&H Flanged Magnum DR ideal weight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Flanged Magnum DR ideal weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there will be some speculation on this, but I would appreciate the advise of those of you who actually have experience with this cartridge to nominate a ideal weight for a DR that will be carried by the hunter. I am building one that I will leave for my grandson.

My current thoughts are 8.5 pounds.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
8.5 to 9 lbs. without a scope.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gentlemen.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you building a frame or building it on a shotgun frame?

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Are you building a frame or building it on a shotgun frame?

I have a virtually new 1959 Brno ZP49 to use as the action, and have started work on the first barrel. However, I am not really all that keen on the barrels I bought to use for this DR, and I am seriously considering stopping work, throwing the barrel into the scrap bin and buying a .375 Flanged mag DR. Reason being for buyig is that prices of DR continue to loose support and I am certain that I will find one at a very good price this year or soon thereafter, if I remain in the here and now of this world.

As to the barrels, I learned on the last DR that I built that if you have the least bit of technical concern about a barrel or a set of barrels, then don't use them.

I know of one estate here near me that is about to be settled and among the many (100s) guns are some DRs. Many collectors and users of such guns and rifles are reaching the age where the disposal of these is at hand. I am past the age where a lot of my collector friends have died as a matter of fact. Who knows I may not even live long enough to finish another DR.

Compounding the problem of negative price support of DRs, is the entry into the DR market by firms that are focusing upon the lower end of the price range. I have not seen evidence that these DRs are selling at a rapid pace, or even any pace for that matter.

This is a bit off topic of what you asked, but new topics on this board have been a bit low of late and I throw it into the ring.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
My current 88B with claw mounts and Z6i 1.7-10 attached
Weighs in at 10 even

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good info; yes the DR market is soft right now; all the old guys who like them are dying and the young guys don't know what they are.
As for your barrels, what was wrong with them? I have built 6 double rifles and getting modern chrome moly barrels is the easy part.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Young guys struggle to afford high end guns or even homes.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
How bout 12lbs on the bench and 8lbs on the hunt! We'll call it Jekyll & Hyde nitro express

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest 9 to 9.5 lbs. on a .375 Flanged. I prefer a little more weight than listed here..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote