THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifles as investments?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifles as investments?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Could some double rifles, like a Holland & Holland or Purdey for example, be used as investments in a similar manner that art and collectibles are?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mamy are held as investments, and without exception they shoot better than a painting or a piece of toast with Jesus on it.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like gold and silver, or fancy cars; they are great investments when the economy is rolling along. When times are bad, like the next several years are likely going to be; they can be problematical to dispose of. Remember gold this time last year? Over $1000 an ounce. Today it is closing in the $700+ range. All those dealers forget (when you buy) that there is a 10% or more premium when you sell.

1. Buy it because it is something you like.
2. Buy it because it is of sound quality.
3. Buy it because it is convertible if you buy it with future sale in mind.

F'r Instance, there are some double rifles for sale here today, some that are bargains. It's tough to pony up over $10,000 for a rifle.

I'm buying a couple rifles, the price is good and I will likely have them until I die.

JMHO

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I can't afford even a modest double, but I was curious about the subject.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have owned a number of Doubles,none however, what I would call 'investment grade' rifles. All I have sold and each time I have lost NO money at all. Rarely did I MAKE much either but in NO case did I lose money. So for all practical purposes I owned and used the rifle for free which I find is probably as good as it gets.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with what everyone above says.

I disagree on the statement that you can't afford a modest double. Find you a small bore double or express rifle in 8x57R or 7X57R.
I did a google search for 7X57R and found a couple of Brnos for $900.

Start looking and saving. It could take some time, but some kind of double rifle is within your means.

Sell my doubles? I hope not. These get passed on! I hope for many generations to come.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual, Rusty and I are in agreement. You just have to want one...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Over the years I have owned a number of Doubles,none however, what I would call 'investment grade' rifles. All I have sold and each time I have lost NO money at all. Rarely did I MAKE much either but in NO case did I lose money. So for all practical purposes I owned and used the rifle for free which I find is probably as good as it gets.

I have traded and sold guns since I was 17 years old. I agree with both Zim and ID sharpshoter. Buy what you like and use it. I have made large sums of money from guns and also lost my ass. So I guess it's no different than the stock market, except doubles and fine guns are a hell of alot more fun to own.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
OK,I will "pop" in here...I have a great investment double at a great lowered price on classifieds now..a mere $7500 for a 500NE!"Buy Low-Sell High"! clap

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been several threads dealing with doubles as investments. Some thoughts:
1. You have to know what you are doing.
2. The cost of entry is quite high, especially with Holland and Hollands.
3. You have to be prepared to hold in a down market.
4. There is a limited market for double rifles, and high grade doubles in particular.
and finally a question: Would you be afraid to shoot it or hunt with it, in case it affected it's value?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you buy a nice English double from Champlins, George says he will give you "your money plus" for it down the road. Don't know if this is a good retirement plan, but if a guy can afford it, now would be the time to buy one. It should do better than the S&P 500, over the past 10 years. Big Grin
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd submit that if we are just taking a poke here, a 15 year hold period

would need to be what you can sustain. Will it always take that long to

sell high enough to have beaten the inflation rate? NO. But again, I feel

that the 15 year number is the safe way to think about this topic. If you

bought a 200K Purdey or other serious name fine rifle in August last year,

you ain't selling it today for 210 or 220 unless one of about 300 persons

on Earth is dying to have it. I'd say it's a buy and hold game to think of

D/R's as investments, no different than the way Warren Buffet advises

people who are considering a stock purchase.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the results of all my other investments recently I have to say that I wished I had bought all double rifles instead.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. For something to qualify as an investment you have to be willing to have a "liquidity event". If you do that with your double, you spend years wishing you hadn't.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When stocks dropped 60% double rifles remained flat.

When microsoft went up 10,000%, double rifles quadrupled in value.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, 'cos the people who had stock in Microsoft sold it and bought doubles!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Could some double rifles, like a Holland & Holland or Purdey for example, be used as investments in a similar manner that art and collectibles are?

YES, and they are MUCH cheaper than an ex-wife
shocker

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
YES, and they are MUCH cheaper than an ex-wife
shocker

Yeah, much cheaper and easier than finding a woman you'll hate in 5-6 years and buying her a house! Eeker animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote